Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need advice on amd upgrade please

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 1, 2012 5:02:34 AM

i was wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to first get a new 4100 and then a xfx 7850 after? i want to be able to play bf3 and other new titles at 1080p. should i even bother with the 4170?

so i guess my question is more or less if i should get the 4100 or 7850 first ? would i even be able to play bf3 online multiplayer with a x2 555 and a 7850. oh i guess another thing to think about too is if i can even run that on my psu -_-

i currently have
amd phenom ii x2 555 @3.8ghz (conservative oc)
xfx gtx 260 216 core
msi 890gxm-g65
4gb corsair 1600 xms3
and last but not least ... drum roll please. raidmax 530 watt psu lol

More about : advice amd upgrade

a c 184 à CPUs
June 1, 2012 5:15:42 AM

Upgrade your PSU and overclock higher. If possible, grab a Phenom 955BE if they are available.
June 1, 2012 5:19:21 AM

amuffin said:
Upgrade your PSU and overclock higher. If possible, grab a Phenom 955BE if they are available.

newegg still has 965's for $119 and a 4100 for $109. do you think i should go cpu and psu first then gpu?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
June 1, 2012 5:33:28 AM
Share

For gaming yes you would be better off with an older Phenom II like the 965 or 955 over the newer Bulldozers. In most games the Phenom II will out perform the Bulldozer.
June 1, 2012 11:32:11 PM

rds1220 said:
For gaming yes you would be better off with an older Phenom II like the 965 or 955 over the newer Bulldozers. In most games the Phenom II will out perform the Bulldozer.

hm but is there a reason why the highest amd cpu in the cpu hierarchy chart is the 4170 ? do you think it would be a good idea to go with the newer cpu since im going to be getting a newer gpu ?
a c 109 à CPUs
June 1, 2012 11:50:13 PM

I would personally upgrade in this order...CPU-PSU-GPU.
I agree with the people posting above about getting a Phenom II CPU. Even if the 4170 is listed as First in the Hierarchy, it still performs like **** :lol: 
June 2, 2012 2:13:01 AM

mocchan said:
I would personally upgrade in this order...CPU-PSU-GPU.
I agree with the people posting above about getting a Phenom II CPU. Even if the 4170 is listed as First in the Hierarchy, it still performs like **** :lol: 

haha what is it that im reading about these faster clocks be more useful and double the cache in the 4170 ? i thought i read on here that most games dont utilize 4 cores so thats why the 4170 is better than the 965? well either way im looking at the 965 or 4100. still trying to decide though.
a c 109 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 2:28:51 AM

budgetballer said:
haha what is it that im reading about these faster clocks be more useful and double the cache in the 4170 ? i thought i read on here that most games dont utilize 4 cores so thats why the 4170 is better than the 965? well either way im looking at the 965 or 4100. still trying to decide though.


http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2761...

X4 955 is basically the same CPU as an X4 965 (Just clocked slower) same goes for the FX 4100.
They're both overclocked in that link I showed you, so it should give you a rough idea of how they perform.

a c 141 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 2:51:30 AM

budgetballer said:
haha what is it that im reading about these faster clocks be more useful and double the cache in the 4170 ? i thought i read on here that most games dont utilize 4 cores so thats why the 4170 is better than the 965? well either way im looking at the 965 or 4100. still trying to decide though.


High clock speeds doesn't mean anything just like more cores isn't always better. It's all about the CPU architecture and even at higher speeds the Bulldozer is slower because Bulldozers architechture is so bad. So if you put a 3.3 GHz I5 2500k against a Bulldozer at 3.7 GHz the I5 is still going to be faster because it has a more efficient architecture.
June 2, 2012 2:59:53 AM

mocchan said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2761...

X4 955 is basically the same CPU as an X4 965 (Just clocked slower) same goes for the FX 4100.
They're both overclocked in that link I showed you, so it should give you a rough idea of how they perform.

alright i i've decided that i will go with the 965 on newegg and a new psu probably a corsair tx650 or the cx600. i currently have a cm hyper n520 on my x2 555 and it seems to keep it cool (27*C) but when i get my 965 i would like to oc it to 4ghz so should i be fine with this cooler or do you think its time for an h80 or another air cooler. im not too fond of hanging a nhd14 of my cpu lol. then lastly id go with a 7850
a c 141 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 3:12:19 AM

I would think that would be fine for a Phenom II 965. Do you plan on overclocking? How do you have it set up with a single fan or in a push pull configuration?
June 2, 2012 3:16:16 AM

rds1220 said:
I would think that would be fine for a Phenom II 965. Do you plan on overclocking? How do you have it set up with a single fan or in a push pull configuration?

its a push pull setup. and yes i do plan on ocing the 965 to 4ghz at least. right now my 555 is at 3.8 no problem.
a c 141 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 3:19:18 AM

In a push pull configuration that fan/heatsink should be fine even for overclocking. If you decided to go with something else for whatever reason I would go with a Hyper 212 but like I said I really don't think you need to switch.
a c 109 à CPUs
June 2, 2012 3:42:23 AM

Your cooler should be perfect for the X4 965!
I currently have an X4 955 @ 3.8Ghz (1.425v) with a Hyper212+ with just the stock fan in 'push'. Idles at around 29C (23C ambient) and 51C max load. Considering the n520 is significantly beefier, you have absolutely nothing to worry about! :D 
June 2, 2012 3:50:57 AM

alright thanks guys going with the 965 , ocz 700 watt psu and a 7850 lastly.
June 2, 2012 3:52:03 AM

Best answer selected by budgetballer.
!