Status
Not open for further replies.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hey,my HWmonitor and Asrock extreme tuner showed my i5 3570k at 104 degrees Cel while I was playing battlefield 3 the cpu is at stock settings with the stock intel fan. the heatsink is installed on it tight. could that have been a faulty reading? it seems to always show it running high on other games but thats the highest ive seen it ever. I have 5 120mm Coolmaster fans installed in my case. at the temps it showed my cpu at it wasnt slowing down the computer didnt shut off or anything and ive heard the CPU's have a built in safety system so they wont fry themselves. I have a coolmaster evo 212 heatsink im going to install just waiting on the Artic silver 5 thermal compound to come in. but that just doesnt seem right at all for it to get that high and it run smooth or not shut down. so im wondering if I'm getting alot of bad readings. btw my Mobo is the Asrock extreme 4 z77. thanks ahead of time for all your input :)

Solution

I still think the stock HSF isn't seated well because there's no way it would be getting that hot if it was, but if you don't want to wait to get the AS5, installing the 212 Evo with the Cooler Master stuff is just fine.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
No the reading shows right now on HWMonitor max reading was 104 C equaling out to 219 F and Asrock Extreme tuner showed it at the same at the time. right now more less in idle its showing it at 46 C.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012

I agree, either the reading is in Fahrenheit or its being read wrong. For a 3rd generation 22nm chip to be that hot during normal game play without overclock is not even logical. Those chips should be running max 50 degrees on stock settings in my opinion, especially since they are efficient version of the 2nd gen chips.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

What do you mean by speed? :) and I'm not sure to to seat it any better then it is, its on snug all the twist pin things are locked in.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Also it wasnt Throttling at all! it was running BF3 like it was nothing no slow downs at all nothing.

The Ghz speed. It should lower than the stock 3.4 when it's throttling. And you may think you have the HSF seated well, but the stock Intel coolers are notorious for being SEEMINGLY well seated, but not actually being so. Try to pull the pins up with them still locked. If you can pull them out, they're not in all the way.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

It was still at 3.4. If the thermal compound that came with the 212 is any good id go ahead and install it because I'm really not liking this stock Intel one or should I wait for the Arctic silver 5 to come in?

Hmm, that's VERY strange if it wasn't throttling at 104C. I don't even know what to think about that, actually because it absolutely should have been throttling.

But the thermal paste that comes with the 212 Evo isn't bad. It's not quite as good as AS5, but not terrible either.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

What would you recommend? install the new heatsink with the Coolmaster paste or wait? cause id rather not fry my CPU it costs wayy too much haha

I still think the stock HSF isn't seated well because there's no way it would be getting that hot if it was, but if you don't want to wait to get the AS5, installing the 212 Evo with the Cooler Master stuff is just fine.

Solution

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Alright thank you! imma try reseating the stock one and if that doesnt work ill install the new one before the AS5 comes in :) thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.