I have been signed out of the forum without clicking 'log out'

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
this has happened more than once.
tonight.. i was in a forum section and posted a reply to a question.
next, i went to post a reply to another question in the same forum section.. but the forum said i was logged out.

i am on windows xp home sp3 with internet explorer version 8
my install of the operating system was formatted and installed less than 30 days ago.
but
i have seen this happen before, prior to the re-installation of the operating system.

i mean, it has happened half a dozen times (maybe a dozen) and on at least two different installs of the operating system.

sometimes i will be in one forum section signed in.. and the other tab isnt signed in until i refresh the page.
i can press the reply button and i am still signed out on that tab.. i hit the refresh button after that and i am signed in for that tab.
but
sometimes i am signed in when i open a forum thread in a new tab.. the tab that i used to get the link from was signed off (while i signed in on a third tab).

i am a bit confused and wondering where or if there is some security risk.. or if i am being treated by a directed annoyance attack.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
because of the seperate tabs, and signing into one tab and allowing the other tabs to get up to date.. i dont see it as impossible.

i usually open up each forum section i want to read in a seperate tab.
and then open up each thread i want to read in a different tab (or different browser window sometimes too)
and if i feel like replying.. i sign in to whatever tab or window i am in.

i simply didnt want to be abused by a person diliberately.. or worried about the security of my operating system install.
either one would have ruined my day :lol:

thanks for your time.