Olympus C7070 (Vs FZ5 / Powershot S2)

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
May 27, 2005 3:07:45 PM

Hi there.

I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other day.
To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an impression it
looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic equipment.
(Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying FZ5/S2)

Now, Olympus C7070 has come to my attention. It has most of the
features that I really want: hot-shoe, magnesium body, wide-zoom. It
even comes with a cheaper price tag (at least CAD$100 cheaper than FZ5
/ S2)

However, based on most reviews, there are four major issues related to
this camera: low-light focussing, slow continous shooting performance,
limited time VGA movie capture, and 110mm is a bit too short in
telephoto. Based on your real experiences, do the first two issue
really bother you?

I'm particularly concerned with the low-light focussing. Is it too
slow? Even worse, is it inaccurate?

Thanks for any feedback
Dom
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:01:24 PM

This may be a duplicate, because google returned me server error in
first attempt to post this reply:
---

David, thanks for your reply. I love FZ20 too. However, it is about
CAD$749 to $799 in Canda, and C7070 is only $569 or so. FZ20 is a bit
too expensive to me. (I wonder why FZ20 is so expensive in Canada)

BTW, does anyone know if C7070 has orientation sensor (and I don't
think FZ20 has this feature)?

Thanks
Dom

David J Taylor wrote:
> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
> > been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
> > Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other
> > day. To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an
> > impression it looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic
> > equipment. (Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying
> > FZ5/S2)
>
> Take a look at the FZ20, the FZ5's bigger brother....
>
> Be assured, though, its size is deceptive - it is a very serious camera
> and not a toy at all!
>
> David
May 27, 2005 7:00:22 PM

Dom:

I have a 5060, which seems identical to the 7070 in many respects, and
must say it is a dream to hold and use. I have not experienced a low
light problem (and I do a lot of flash work, both with the on-board
flash and a TL-20, at events), though I would say that one needs to
boost the flash a bit The continuous firing capability is something I
don't think a lot about, though I do railroad photography and have not
found it limiting, particularly in the HQ mode, which is extremely good
on the 5060. My camera's VGA is limited only by the memory card. I don't
think much about the 110 mm, using a teleconverter which gives me great
results, and always going to SHQ or raw when I see something off in the
distance I want to crop dramatically. All in all, the resulting
photographs are beautiful and the build quality and size of the camera
extremey good. There have been some mode-dial problems reported on the
5060, but I'm sure they would have been fixed in the 7070. Don't know if
everything else I've said would apply to the 7070, but a couple of cents
in the pot..

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
> been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
> Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other day.
> To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an impression it
> looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic equipment.
> (Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying FZ5/S2)
>
> Now, Olympus C7070 has come to my attention. It has most of the
> features that I really want: hot-shoe, magnesium body, wide-zoom. It
> even comes with a cheaper price tag (at least CAD$100 cheaper than FZ5
> / S2)
>
> However, based on most reviews, there are four major issues related to
> this camera: low-light focussing, slow continous shooting performance,
> limited time VGA movie capture, and 110mm is a bit too short in
> telephoto. Based on your real experiences, do the first two issue
> really bother you?
>
> I'm particularly concerned with the low-light focussing. Is it too
> slow? Even worse, is it inaccurate?
>
> Thanks for any feedback
> Dom

May 27, 2005 11:41:02 PM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
> been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
> Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other
> day. To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an
> impression it looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic
> equipment. (Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying
> FZ5/S2)

Take a look at the FZ20, the FZ5's bigger brother....

Be assured, though, its size is deceptive - it is a very serious camera
and not a toy at all!

David
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 10:35:38 AM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> This may be a duplicate, because google returned me server error in
> first attempt to post this reply:
> ---
>
> David, thanks for your reply. I love FZ20 too. However, it is about
> CAD$749 to $799 in Canda, and C7070 is only $569 or so. FZ20 is a bit
> too expensive to me. (I wonder why FZ20 is so expensive in Canada)
>
> BTW, does anyone know if C7070 has orientation sensor (and I don't
> think FZ20 has this feature)?
>
> Thanks
> Dom

Dom,

I can confirm that the FZ5 has an orientation sensor.

The C7070 has no image stabilisation, which is is very helpful if you need
the long end of the zoom as much as the 432mm of the Panasonic. I see
them more as different cameras for different applications - the C7070 for
wide-angle and the FZ5 & FZ20 for telephoto, and less as competitors.

In Europe I paid CAD$709 equivalent for the FZ5, and I think it's worth
every penny. The FZ20 would be CAD$810. Perhaps the C7070 is being
dumped at a low price to try and sell out before a new model comes along
or it's not selling well?

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:28:17 PM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi there.
>
>I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
>been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
>Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other day.
>To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an impression it
>looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic equipment.
>(Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying FZ5/S2)

The FZ20 is somewhat large, somewhat heaver, and has a few other
features for about $60.00 more.

>Now, Olympus C7070 has come to my attention. It has most of the
>features that I really want: hot-shoe, magnesium body, wide-zoom. It
>even comes with a cheaper price tag (at least CAD$100 cheaper than FZ5
>/ S2)
>
>However, based on most reviews, there are four major issues related to
>this camera: low-light focussing, slow continous shooting performance,
>limited time VGA movie capture, and 110mm is a bit too short in
>telephoto. Based on your real experiences, do the first two issue
>really bother you?
>
>I'm particularly concerned with the low-light focussing. Is it too
>slow? Even worse, is it inaccurate?
>
>Thanks for any feedback
>Dom

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:29:56 PM

Take a trip to the US. Buy it there. Go back home and you saved money.

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:

>This may be a duplicate, because google returned me server error in
>first attempt to post this reply:
>---
>
>David, thanks for your reply. I love FZ20 too. However, it is about
>CAD$749 to $799 in Canda, and C7070 is only $569 or so. FZ20 is a bit
>too expensive to me. (I wonder why FZ20 is so expensive in Canada)
>
>BTW, does anyone know if C7070 has orientation sensor (and I don't
>think FZ20 has this feature)?
>
>Thanks
>Dom
>
>David J Taylor wrote:
>

>>domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>Hi there.
>>>
>>>I'm seriously interested of buying my next digital camera. I've always
>>>been interested of Panasonic Lumix FZ5 / FZ20 and possibly Canon
>>>Powershot S2. I went to a local retail and tried out FZ5 the other
>>>day. To my surprise, it's too small and light for me. I had an
>>>impression it looked and felt like a toy, not a serious photographic
>>>equipment. (Still, I haven't ruled out the possibility of buying
>>>FZ5/S2)
>>>

>>Take a look at the FZ20, the FZ5's bigger brother....
>>
>>Be assured, though, its size is deceptive - it is a very serious camera
>>and not a toy at all!
>>
>>David

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:48:42 PM

measekite wrote:

> Take a trip to the US. Buy it there. Go back home and you saved money.
>
> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> This may be a duplicate, because google returned me server error in
>> first attempt to post this reply:
>> ---
>>
>> David, thanks for your reply. I love FZ20 too. However, it is about
>> CAD$749 to $799 in Canda, and C7070 is only $569 or so. FZ20 is a bit
>> too expensive to me. (I wonder why FZ20 is so expensive in Canada)
>>
>> BTW, does anyone know if C7070 has orientation sensor (and I don't
>> think FZ20 has this feature)?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dom
>>
>> David J Taylor wrote:

>>> Take a look at the FZ20, the FZ5's bigger brother....
>>>
>>> Be assured, though, its size is deceptive - it is a very serious camera
>>> and not a toy at all!
>>>
>>> David

Hi,
I have similar ones I use all the time except dSLRs I have.
I have Oly C5060 and Panasonic FZ20. Over all I use Oly more for every
day shooting in/outdoors. FZ20 is when I go to our cabin in the woods.
I shoot lots of animals: birds, moose, deer, etc. Long zoom is handy.
Over all IMO, Oly gives better picture quality. I am just a novice in
digital pohotography. Also Oly gives more solid feel when holding it in
my hands.
Tony
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:15:06 AM

I thought of doing that too. Unfortunately, Panasonic Canada (for
example) does not honour the warranty of the camera purchased in US.

Does anyone know the policy of Canon Canada / Olympus Canada?

Thanks

Dom

measekite wrote:
> Take a trip to the US. Buy it there. Go back home and you saved money.
>
> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >This may be a duplicate, because google returned me server error in
> >first attempt to post this reply:
> >---
> >
> >David, thanks for your reply. I love FZ20 too. However, it is about
> >CAD$749 to $799 in Canda, and C7070 is only $569 or so. FZ20 is a bit
> >too expensive to me. (I wonder why FZ20 is so expensive in Canada)
> >
> >BTW, does anyone know if C7070 has orientation sensor (and I don't
> >think FZ20 has this feature)?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Dom
> >
> >David J Taylor wrote:

> >>Take a look at the FZ20, the FZ5's bigger brother....
> >>
> >>Be assured, though, its size is deceptive - it is a very serious camera
> >>and not a toy at all!
> >>
> >>David

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:26:51 PM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> I thought of doing that too. Unfortunately, Panasonic Canada (for
> example) does not honour the warranty of the camera purchased in US.

Does that matter? How much of a risk for how much gain? Your choice!
May 29, 2005 6:46:02 PM

"> Take a trip to the US. Buy it there. Go back home and you saved money.

Mail order would work too!
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:57:36 PM

Good question. I could buy extended warranty. In this case, it may not
matter anymore.

BTW, since I lives in Canada, I'm not so familiar with the electronic
store chain names of US. Can you recommend a few of them that has
better reputation and offers reasonable return / refund policy (e.g. 30
days with receipt)? I prefer brick-n-mortar retailers (as opposed to
online-store) with stores in Bellingham / Seattle area.

Do you recommend Circuit-city? Any even better ones?

Thanks
Dom

David J Taylor wrote:
> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I thought of doing that too. Unfortunately, Panasonic Canada (for
> > example) does not honour the warranty of the camera purchased in US.
>
> Does that matter? How much of a risk for how much gain? Your choice!
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:23:54 PM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> I thought of doing that too. Unfortunately, Panasonic Canada (for
>>> example) does not honour the warranty of the camera purchased in US.
>>
>> Does that matter? How much of a risk for how much gain? Your
>> choice!
>
> Good question. I could buy extended warranty. In this case, it may not
> matter anymore.
>
> BTW, since I lives in Canada, I'm not so familiar with the electronic
> store chain names of US. Can you recommend a few of them that has
> better reputation and offers reasonable return / refund policy (e.g.
> 30 days with receipt)? I prefer brick-n-mortar retailers (as opposed
> to online-store) with stores in Bellingham / Seattle area.
>
> Do you recommend Circuit-city? Any even better ones?
>
> Thanks
> Dom

I would think twice before buying an extended warranty.

I don't live in the US either. I recommend Jessops in the UK!

David
!