Corsair 400R Case
Asus Maximus IV Extreme (Rev 3.0)
Intel i7-2600K
HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB) 1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0GB/s Hard Drive
Corsair Professional series HX650 PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner

Hi, I just built this PC last week and I am having issues with freezing and BSOD. This is the first system I have built in 8 years, but I have built 5 systems total. I have updated all drivers and BIOS. When I get the BSOD it doesn’t create a dump file, the BSOD freezes too. It freezes at random times, I can’t duplicate the exact instance. It will freeze while surfing the net, typing in MS Word, playing Skyrim (just once here). My temps while idle are between 32°C - 36°C for my CPU and 38° for the GPU. If I am running CIV3D or gaming the CPU runs no hotter than 55°C and the same for the GPU. I am using the stock heatsink and fan for the processor. The case I have has 2 120mm intake fans on the front and a 120mm exhaust on the rear. I have mounted a cheap 120mm exhaust fan on the top and I have ordered two 120mm fans, 1 to replace the cheap one as exhaust and 1 for the side of the case as an intake. I am also not overclocked. Please offer any suggestions! Thanks!

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hmmmm....things that can cause that:

1) Psu is not producing constant power and when it drops too low you freeze

2) A bad capacitor on the mobo. Visually check with a flashlight to see if any are bulging

3) The Gpu has an issue. Temp may be ok but if there is a problem that is intermittent heat may not be the issue

4) Bad stick of ram or a bad ram slot. Try switching to one stick and changing slots to see if that fixes it.

In each of these cases you need to be able to swap out and item to check and see if that is the issue or not. It's trial and error one item at a time.

Philico

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
If the BSODs occur at relatively low temperatures, this is a sign of possible voltage flactuations that could be caused by the OS trying to slow down or speedup the processor at random times. If so, from your bios you may want to disable the Intel Speedstep option. This will keep voltage control away from the OS and into the hands of the CPU itself.

TRENDING THREADS