Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Are these good PSU?

Last response: in Components
Share
June 1, 2012 1:14:52 PM

I'm currently using a Cooler Master eXtreme PowerPlus 600 watt. It is more than sufficient for just my 2500k, mobo and a GT 430 2GB, but I don't think it will be enough for a beefier GPU like the 6870 OC, as the 12v Ramp is rather small (2 X 18A)

Here are some of the PSU's I'm looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
or this one
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

The second is much out of my price range, and i think it's a bit overkill.

Another quick question, how much will i save on electricity if i upgraded my PSU?
Here are the rates http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php?page=current_rat...

Thanks!

More about : good psu

a b ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 1:37:12 PM

The Corsair TX650 V2 will handle your CPU & GPU(even 6870 OC'd) with absolutely no problem. :) 
m
0
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 1:48:43 PM

Corsair is a top-quality brand (unlike Crappermaster: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...). Either one would be a good choice.
Unless you have plans for further upgrades (e.g. a second graphics card for Crossfire), a good 500W PSU is all you need.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 2:21:45 PM

Yah, i was looking at the first one mainly, the second seems a little overkill.

Although the only thing is, I'm going to feel as though i wasted $55 on the original PSU.
I'm on the edge on whether i should get the first PSU, and essentially waste $50, because both Cooler Master and Tiger Direct guaranteed me that the CM EP+ would be able to run my system, at it has a 4.6 star rating on tigerdirect.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 2:33:10 PM

All I can tell you is the CoolerMaster makes awesome cases and fan/heatsinks, but horrible power supplies. Please stay away from their power supplies.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:34:29 PM

abekl said:
All I can tell you is the CoolerMaster makes awesome cases and fan/heatsinks, but horrible power supplies. Please stay away from their power supplies.


I already bought it about two months ago...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 2:37:53 PM

mastrom101 said:
I already bought it about two months ago...

Didn't snyone on the board warn you away from them?
m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 2:38:44 PM

mastrom101 said:
I'm currently using a Cooler Master eXtreme PowerPlus 600 watt. It is more than sufficient for just my 2500k, mobo and a GT 430 2GB, but I don't think it will be enough for a beefier GPU like the 6870 OC, as the 12v Ramp is rather small (2 X 18A)

Here are some of the PSU's I'm looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
or this one
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

The second is much out of my price range, and i think it's a bit overkill.

Another quick question, how much will i save on electricity if i upgraded my PSU?
Here are the rates http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php?page=current_rat...

Thanks!


1. it's not the best PSU in its range, not even close but your system will hardly break 325w gaming. the CM 600w will power your system fine since you already own it it will also save you money. i would not push it past 475w though.

2. the corsair TX series is a better platform then the CX series with its use of japanese caps (higher quality) then taiwan & chinese (CX series). even with the bronze rated TX series, I doubt it saves you more then a cup of coffee every month (if you constantly game). I would recommend the TX (easily) but if it's out of your price range, the upgrade to the CX is good but once again your CM will do the job.

personally, i would use the CM 600 for now and save up for the Corsair TX.

another budget option for you.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:57:44 PM

ct1615 said:
1. it's not the best PSU in its range, not even close but your system will hardly break 325w gaming. the CM 600w will power your system fine since you already own it it will also save you money. i would not push it past 475w though.

2. the corsair TX series is a better platform then the CX series with its use of japanese caps (higher quality) then taiwan & chinese (CX series). even with the bronze rated TX series, I doubt it saves you more then a cup of coffee every month (if you constantly game). I would recommend the TX (easily) but if it's out of your price range, the upgrade to the CX is good but once again your CM will do the job.

personally, i would use the CM 600 for now and save up for the Corsair TX.

another budget option for you.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...



Are you sure it will only break 350 watts?
I'm running a:

2500k
Asus p8z68-v lx
2 LED fans
A 7200 RPM HD
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram (2X4)
A CD/DVD Drive
3-5 USBS that draw power

And then either the OC'ed 6870 or the 6850.


If so, then i'll stick with my current PSU, at least for a bit. Maybe when i build for my Grandpa (hes only going to use like 200 watts) i can throw it in for him so he saves some money, and it doesn't go to waste.

The amperage is quite low, however. It can only deliver 36 Amps (2x18). Is that enough still?

The only reason i ask is because Outervision suggested like a 550 watt PSU for my specs. I understand that capacitor aging plays a factor (especially since this computer needs to last at least 4 years), but that's still really high (although it is known to overestimate).
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 4:00:22 PM

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20)




anandtech didn't even break 300w gaming with more power hungry i7-920 (then the 2500k)
Share
June 1, 2012 4:10:27 PM

ct1615 said:
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20)


http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph3987/33245.png

anandtech didn't even break 300w gaming with more power hungry i7-920 (then the 2500k)



So i'd even have room to CF if i wanted! (Not that i would with my PSU)

I think I'll give it a try, hopefully it will work fine, if not I can always splurge a fifty and get the corsair one.

I'll still try to swap it for the Corsair, but if TD won't let me, its not worth replacing.

Thanks for your help, BA Forsure :) 
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 4:10:55 PM

Best answer selected by mastrom101.
m
0
l
a c 141 ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 5:31:48 PM

PSU is fine
m
0
l
!