VGA LED Solid Red

heinza

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi guys,

This would be my first time dropping by TomsHardware and I hope you can assist me with this matter.
Today I collected my newly ordered computer and after installing it I'm having issues with VGA LED going red at boot.

Below is my current setup:
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3, Socket-1155
Corsair AX 1200W PSU

Intel® Core i7-2700K Processor
Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling

Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 32GB
Corsair DOMINATOR Airflow Fan

Corsair SSD Force Series GT 120GB 2.5
Seagate Barracuda® Green 2TB

BenQ 24" LED GL2450HM
XFX Radeon HD7970 "Black Edition" 1000mhz

When starting the computer with a VGA > DVI cable it will return "No Signal Detected".
The monitor is brand new and did work fine with another computer.

I've switched the Graphics card between the different PCI 3.0 ports without a solution.
The monitors standard input is D-SUB which I can't change, it automatically returns to D-SUB as I can't connect it in any other way to my Laptop.

Am I experiencing issues between the components, such as them not beeing compatible(?) or would you have any other hints?

Thanks in advance!

//Danny

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
You are going from a DVI port on the GPU to a VGA port on the display right?

My guess would be that XFX didn't put the analog components of the DVI in (meaning it is a Dual Link DVI-D port). Without the analog signla VGA will not work. (I can't be certain of this because I can't seem to find exactly what port your card has other than its Dual-Link)

I see that the display has a DVI port and a HDMI port as well. Have you tried using those connections?

I'm not quite understanding this part though:

The monitors standard input is D-SUB which I can't change, it automatically returns to D-SUB as I can't connect it in any other way to my Laptop.

heinza

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
You are going from a DVI port on the GPU to a VGA port on the display right?
Yes, the VGA cable has a VGA>DVI converter attached to one end of the cable.

According to the different VGI inputs found here I can confirm that I do have a Dual Link DVI-I Port so it should be able to transfer analog signals.

Regarding the Input D-Sub;
When I connect my monitor via VGA to my Laptop, It works fine.
However, When I attempt to change the input settings of the monitor from D-SUB (VGA) to any other input signal, It will do an autocheck of what signal it actually is getting and apply it to the settings.

Hope I cleared some things out :)

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
That chart may be a little misleading. I have only ever seen the dual-link DVI-I connector on a gpu before. That guide is more for the cable itself as gpu's just put the DVI-I connector because it is pin compatable with any type of DVI cable.

Again, looking at your cards specs I can't find the exact DVI spec it supports so I still think it is only a dual-link DVI-D and doesn't have analog output so VGA won't work. I still don't see why you cant use one of the other connections (HDMI or DVI) those should give better results anyway over a VGA connection.