Sign in with
Your question

PSU and Graphic Cards Q's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2011 4:51:22 PM

Will a 400 watt be able to run HD 6770 graphic card? or should i go for 450? Are all kinds of power supply will fit in any CPU?

In case that i change my mind and put my money all to the graphic cards, which is the best graphic card for 300 watts PSU and a Quad-Core Processor that can run MW3 / BF3 / Dragon Nest and the upcoming Dota 2! :D 

More about : psu graphic cards

a c 147 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 16, 2011 5:02:31 PM

Quote:
Will a 400 watt be able to run HD 6770 graphic card?

if its not some generic PSU it should be able to. what is your entire spec and gaming resolution?

Quote:
which is the best graphic card for 300 watts PSU and a Quad-Core Processor that can run MW3 / BF3 / Dragon Nest and the upcoming Dota 2! :D 

for 300w (non-generic PSU) you're limited to 5670 or 6670. the card should be able to run the game you list down just fine except BF3
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 5:26:50 PM

MW3 is a dx9 game that runs at 60fps on a xbox, so 6670 should handle it fine, especially at your resolution. I think it will struggle in BF3, though. BF3 is very demanding. Since you're buying new anyway, go for the 6770. They're only slightly more than a 6670 and considerably more powerful. You may still have to turn the settings down, but BF3 should at least be playable on a 6770 at that resolution.
m
l
December 16, 2011 5:30:39 PM

hapkido said:
MW3 is a dx9 game that runs at 60fps on a xbox, so 6670 should handle it fine, especially at your resolution. I think it will struggle in BF3, though. BF3 is very demanding. Since you're buying new anyway, go for the 6770. They're only slightly more than a 6670 and considerably more powerful. You may still have to turn the settings down, but BF3 should at least be playable on a 6770 at that resolution.

Hmm i see. Thanks!

Btw, will any kind of PSU fit in any CPU? I just want to make sure to avoid some hassle :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 5:51:31 PM

No, some cases take different sized PSUs, but most ATX and micro-ATX towers on the market today will fit ATX PSUs. To be safe, what case do you have?
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:18:08 PM

hapkido said:
No, some cases take different sized PSUs, but most ATX and micro-ATX towers on the market today will fit ATX PSUs. To be safe, what case do you have?

Sorry but i don't know what kind of case i have.. My CPU Model is Gateway GT5662 which is this one = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:55:09 PM

One of the comments mentions swapping out the PSU, so I'd assume it is the standard form factor. Take the side of the case off and measure the PSU to be sure.
"Dimensions of an ATX power supply are 150 mm width, 86 mm height, and typically 140 mm depth, although the depth can vary from brand to brand." -wikipedia

There should be two connectors that plug into the motherboard. One will either be 20 or 24 pins, the other, 4 or 8 pins. Make sure you get a power supply that has the right connectors (as well as possibly one for whatever graphics card you decide upon.
m
l
December 16, 2011 7:23:19 PM

killersquirel11 said:
One of the comments mentions swapping out the PSU, so I'd assume it is the standard form factor. Take the side of the case off and measure the PSU to be sure.
"Dimensions of an ATX power supply are 150 mm width, 86 mm height, and typically 140 mm depth, although the depth can vary from brand to brand." -wikipedia

There should be two connectors that plug into the motherboard. One will either be 20 or 24 pins, the other, 4 or 8 pins. Make sure you get a power supply that has the right connectors (as well as possibly one for whatever graphics card you decide upon.

Well, guess i'll go buy the 6670 instead. I have no knowledge in PSU thing and I'll probably make a mistake installing it.

Thanks to all of you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 7:26:44 PM

kevzz010 said:
Well, guess i'll go buy the 6670 instead. I have no knowledge in PSU thing and I'll probably make a mistake installing it.

Thanks to all of you.

Don't be daunted by this. It's a fairly straightforward swap (almost everything is keyed so it only fits the correct way) and there are guides all over the internet. You will be MUCH happier with a 6770 than 6670. It might be the difference between some games being unplayable and playable.
m
l
December 16, 2011 8:15:50 PM

hapkido said:
Don't be daunted by this. It's a fairly straightforward swap (almost everything is keyed so it only fits the correct way) and there are guides all over the internet. You will be MUCH happier with a 6770 than 6670. It might be the difference between some games being unplayable and playable.

Yeah. Thanks for encouraging me, very appreciated.
m
l
December 20, 2011 4:43:20 PM

It is really a simple process.

If you don't trust yourself to remember where everything goes, take pictures. Just grab a camera and take a picture of every connector before you remove it. After you're done, go back and make sure that all of the pictures have been accounted for.

The colors of the wires and the shapes of the connectors are all standardized, so it is impossible to truly screw up (if you forget to plug something in, your computer probably won't boot correctly. Plugging stuff in the right way should fix the problem with no lasting damage done). The biggest gotcha is the four- or eight-pin CPU power cable. I have seen TONS of builds where the only thing keeping the peoples' computers from booting was the fact that that cable wasn't plugged in.

Some decent-looking power supplies are:
530W, $55:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

550W, $70, Modular (all that modular means is that most of the cables are detachable, so there's no unused cables cluttering up the inside of your case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!