Your question

Radeon 5570 displayport display defaulting to lower resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2011 5:21:02 PM

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 64-bit with a Sapphire Radeon 5570 to three monitors:

• • VGA to Gateway HD2201 (1680x1050)
  • • DVI to Acer S231HL (1920x1080)
  • • Sapphire Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924 to DVI to Acer S231HL (1920x1080)

My issue is with the third display. This typically will:

• • Come back from sleep/hibernate or restart defaulting at a 1280x1024 resolution with no option to go higher (I have tried both Windows Display>Screen Resolution and the AMD Vision Engine/Catalyst Control Center fully updated, each many times).
  • • Or come back from sleep/hibernate "not detected" and I will need to unplug/replug the DVI cable one-three times before it is detected, resulting in the above resolution issue.

I have searched google and forums looking for an answer to no avail. All monitors have their latest drivers, the 5570 drivers are up to date, Windows 7 has the latest updates, etc. The only solution I have that works is to uninstall the drivers, restart, reinstall the drivers, and restart. This always works until the next time the computer sleeps/hibernates/restarts and the issue continues.

One other note is that I have tested this with different DVI cables and it is the same issue. Since I haven't seen anyone with the same problem, the only thing I can think of is the Active DisplayPort Adapted is at fault, which I hope is not the case and there is a better solution.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or solutions, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joseph

Edit for more PC information, if needed:
  • • AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core 2.2GHz
  • • 8GB RAM
  • • PC has an onboard Radeon 3200 (Disabled)
    December 23, 2011 6:01:04 PM

Here is an image of the issue: http://i.imgur.com/8y009.png

As you can see, monitors 1 & 2 are the exact same make/model, but the displayport (#1) won't allow max resolution.

Another note: using the displayport monitor as my only display does not solve the problem. Using only the two Acers (so the third/different resolution doesn't affect the other two) does not work either.
    m
    l
    January 1, 2012 11:07:17 PM

Tom's Hardware wanted me to post here again so here it goes:

My issue was not resolved. It's possible that the adapter is faulty. I found elsewhere that active displayport adapters work better when powered by a separate usb input. Also, there are "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles" which mine was not listed on. Unfortunately, the "validated" items cost more than my graphics card costed in the first place. I would rather save my money for when I upgrade rather than waste it on something that I don't even know will work.

For now, my best solution is to use the graphics card with only two monitors and ignore the displayport altogether. It's a very disappointing situation and it seems like various displayport issues exist across the board for most AMD Eyefinity cards/setups and there are no adapters that will work for sure, it's more of a trial and error scenario where some people just get lucky.
    m
    l
    !