AM3 CPU Cooling fan

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I have a Phenom II 955 and am looking for a fan and cooler but do not want to take the motherboard off. I see Cooler master Hyper TX3 and Arctic Cooling 7 are two that can be installed without motherboard removal. The problem is I do not have a top fan on my case and am concerned that the exhaust from the cpu fan can only be directed to the top or bottom of my case. How much will this affect its efficiency. Is it worth getting without having a top case fan? Are there any similar that can send the exhaust to the rear of my case for better air flow. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Solution
It will work fine pointing it to the top even if you do not have an exhaust fan there. as you say your self there is no back plate so I do not understand the comment above.

ranco58

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
The fan and radiator will need to be mounted to the top or back of the case for ot too cool properly. Yes you will need to remove the motherboard to put the "CPU cooler bracket on the back of the motherboard unless there is axcess to the back of the board in the case.

Ranco58

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for the response even though it was a year ago. Rolli59 was right and I simply mounted it pointing to the top and it worked fine. To ranco58 you are incorrect. I did not have to remove mobo. Coolers are made that you can install without removing mobo, just for your info. Thanks

LOL I did not see your original post date until now, somebody had to dig deep to post an answer to that and push it up. I am actually surprised you did not get it answered originally.