Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading my CPU : need some help(first question!)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2012 3:55:09 PM

Ok , i have INTEL DG31PR mother board and run core 2 duo. How can i overclock this(currently running at 2.6 GHz).
And also what is the difference b/n ddr, ddr2 and ddr3?
And one last thing - Will i see SIGNIFICANT change in speed if i change my ram from 2gb one to 4gb as much as i do if i change my CPU?
ty nerds

More about : upgrading cpu question

a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 5:23:22 PM

Nerds eh?Nice.
Anyway there's an overclocking guide on the overclocking forum. It will have everything you need to overclock.

The difference between DDR/2/3 is basically their speed DDR3 being the fastest. Motherboards only support a given kind of RAM and a maximum amount of it so you should check your motherboard manual before buying.

You will not notice a very big difference between 2gb and 4gb. If you run benchmarks then you will notice a small difference but it's not very noticeable in real life applications.Obviously changing your CPU will make a noticeable difference if you change to something much better
m
l
a c 331 à CPUs
June 1, 2012 5:40:50 PM

thiduck said:
Ok , i have INTEL DG31PR mother board and run core 2 duo. How can i overclock this(currently running at 2.6 GHz).
And also what is the difference b/n ddr, ddr2 and ddr3?
And one last thing - Will i see SIGNIFICANT change in speed if i change my ram from 2gb one to 4gb as much as i do if i change my CPU?
ty nerds

DDR, DDR2, DDR3 are successive generations of faster ram. They are incompatible, and this is enforced by different slot configurations.
It is a moot point since your motherboard will take only one type; DDR2.

Added ram will not make your cpu go significantly faster.
If you have only one stick, then adding a second may make a minor positive difference.
A more important reason to go to 4gb is to be able to keep more code in ram and avoid page faults to the hard drive.
I would recommend it.

If you will add ram, be aware that
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one 4gb kit.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. For your motherboard, it is here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg31p...
It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

As to overclocking, that is possible, and you might see a performance boost if your app is cpu limited.
If your app is gaming, then a better graphics card is usually the more productive thing to do.

m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2012 1:52:12 AM

akxpckwb said:
Nerds eh?Nice.
Anyway there's an overclocking guide on the overclocking forum. It will have everything you need to overclock.

The difference between DDR/2/3 is basically their speed DDR3 being the fastest. Motherboards only support a given kind of RAM and a maximum amount of it so you should check your motherboard manual before buying.

You will not notice a very big difference between 2gb and 4gb. If you run benchmarks then you will notice a small difference but it's not very noticeable in real life applications.Obviously changing your CPU will make a noticeable difference if you change to something much better

Any help with overclocking man?? what changes i have to do in BIOS? Up voltage by 0.1 Volts and then what??ty
m
l
June 2, 2012 1:53:41 AM

I have nvidia geforce gtx 430, not a higher end graphics card(DDR3) but run all the games and mainly runs crysis smoothly. Will i see any change in gaming with TURBO BOOST tech in i5??AND PLS HELP ME ON THIS : How to do overclocking?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2012 9:41:32 AM

Like I said there's an overclocking guide on the overclocking forum but here's the short version:
->Go into the BIOS
->Set the multiplier to the max
->Raise the FSB slowly like 10Mhz at the time
->Run a stressing program like Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test
->If the overclock is unstable raise the voltage (Vcore) as little as you can and rerun the stress test
->ALWAYS keep an eye on temperatures. Use something like Core Temp
->Do not get past 70º or 80º
->Do not get past 1.4v
December 14, 2012 1:26:35 PM

Best answer selected by thiduck.
m
l
!