Sign in with
Your question

Advice Meeded - Is it Worth Upgrading a POS Budget Desktop?

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 1:10:30 AM

I used to be a gamer. Had a nice Velocity Micro gaming rig and wasted a few fun years of my life with Evercrack 1 & 2 as well as other games. Then the wife cut my balls off and all that stopped. It was one of those gaming vs family decision points in life.

Fast forward a few years, and the Mrs decided to give me Skyrim for Xmas with the suggestion that I should get back into gaming. After 10 years of marriage and two kids, she’s wiped and has decided she likes to crash early.

Problem is all we’ve got to play on is a POS budget HP desktop I bought a year or so ago for surfing and email, and I don’t have the coin at the moment to upgrade to a respectable rig. Hate to admit it, but I actually tried playing Skyrim on this box and it made my eyes bleed to watch it stutter away.

So being completely non-technical, my question is, is it possible to update a couple components for a reasonable cost to make this a …….not great, not good, but bearable gaming machine? Or is this a hopeless cause and I’m better off putting Skyrim on the shelf and saving up over the course of the next year or so for something not so pathetic?

HP p6610f
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD Athlon II x4 635 Processor 2.90 GHz
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
64-bit Operating System
ATI Radeon HD 4200
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1)
733GB Hitachi HDS721075CLA332 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
February 15, 2012 2:00:36 AM

I bought a run of the mill Gateway from Best Buy once and was able to game with it pretty good by just replacing the power supply and graphics card. For $250 you could get a pretty nice PSU and graphics card and probably play on medium settings or for $600 you could build a dedicated gaming machine. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970.... Advantage with this is you could upgrade parts over time.

mid range gaming card $160, nice 650w power supply $90.
m
l
Related resources
!