GRANDAD64

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
It's been sometime since i've posted here. Looking for some help in seeking out a stock cooler for a Phenom 2 quad core black edition 955 125w cpu.The fan is beginning to make a loud clicking sound mostly while gaming.IT has a four pin conection to the motherboard header. I've been looking for a replacement but I'm beginning to struggle now..I'm willing to use an alternitve cooler but space is tight ,as is the budget(£20 to £30).Looked at the Scythe Shuriken but it advised against on anything above 95w.Any help please and thanks in advance. From an old PC mad Grandad...

I would suggest either replacing the fan on your heatsink with a new 70 mm PWM fan or you could find yourself a new AMD 125-140 W stock heatsink. The 125-140 W stock heatsink with the copper heatpipes is one of the better compact AMD heatsinks out there and you can pick them up on eBay for about $15.

GRANDAD64

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for your reply my friend.Finding a stock cooler in the UK for my cpu is proving to be a bit of a problem .I,m not really into Ebay, a few friends I know have had bad expierences.I usually stick with Amazon and I've never had a problem.Funny you suggested this one as I had been looking at it..It's not that the tower is small (InWin Dragon Rider) the memory slots are right next to the cpu socket, but I've measured and if I move the memory across it should fit Thanks again for your assist.Best regards Grandad John....

GRANDAD64

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you and thanks for your suggestion. Managed to get it sorted out .Bought a ZALMAN cnps9900 Max and got it installed..Had to remove the motherboard(Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ) but it wasn't to bad to install..Although I use quite a big tower (InWin Dragon Rider) I couldn't close the side panel, but removing the side panel fan solved the problem.Have run the machine for 3 hours (Idling) and the CPU Temp 31C- 32C which is 2C lower than the stock cooler,so I'm happy.Haven't tried it while gaming yet,so we'll see if its as good as Zalman's says it is..Removing the large side panel fan gives you room to install 6x 80mm fans instead but I think you'd have to bolt it to the deck.(have 5 fans running already).Once again thanks for your help.Best regards .Grandad John...