Sign in with
Your question

Big problem wil a asus hd6970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2011 7:06:59 PM

Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of my fsx machine, i7-2700k based with a asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 motherboard. I bought it without a graphics card as the pc builder didn't supply asus cards and I specifically wanted the asus hd6970 direct CU II as I believed it to be a good brand, liked the twin cooling fans and the 6 video ports. Anyhow maching is running fine the card installed properly, fitted it a couple of times to be sure, latest drivers and utilities downloaded from asus and the system (win 7 64 bit) just does not recognise the card.

So what am I doing wrong? The fans are spinning and there is a red light on the board but nothing. One thing I still have to try is to power both of the auxailiary power sockets but that seems like a long shot.

So any help would be greatly appreciated as asus support is pretty non existent.
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 16, 2011 8:56:24 PM

Ah, if you did not plug in all the power connections, the card won't work. You actually can damage the card if you don't.
December 17, 2011 12:27:39 PM

I realised that the little 2 pin plug hanging off the 6 pin plug could be used tomconvert the 6 pit to a 8 pin. So now I have power to both sockets and the card seems happier.

However no I have lost the inboard video output that I was using.

My monitor does not have a displayport input and as I cannot get a displayport-hdmi cable until Tuesday.

I now understand that at least one monitor MUST be plugged into a display-port output so I will have to wait till Thursday to use my nice new machine.

a b Ĉ ASUS
December 19, 2011 1:06:41 PM

Some motherboards disable onboard video automatically when they sense an external video card being used, not an issue really, just how it works.
!