Sign in with
Your question

Best NIC for my computer

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2012 5:00:27 PM

I am currently finishing up my new computer build and just need a few more parts. I need to get a NIC but dont know what to get and was wonder if you guys could help me out here is the info i think you guys will need.

I have a asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard and a Motorola router that i am using from charter.

If there is other info you need to know just tell me and i will let you know.

More about : nic computer

June 1, 2012 5:36:26 PM

The one on the motherboard is more than sufficient. NIC's are so "last millenium: :) 

Onboard asrock Z77 extreme LAN
LAN Chipset - Broadcom BCM57781
Max LAN Speed - 10/100/1000Mbps

I'd prefer Intel, but ya'd have to move away from Asrock into Asus, MSI, etc to get Intel chipsets.
June 1, 2012 5:40:23 PM

i was going to get a asus but all i keep hearing is how good the asrock extremes are so i thought i would try it out. also what about wifi i dont think the board has wifi
Related resources
July 26, 2012 6:05:18 PM

It doenst have wifi i believe. I have the same mobo on it's way, but I'm also looking for the best way to hook it up to the internet since I don't have any way to hardwire my computer from my bedroom
August 28, 2012 6:48:39 PM

Any ethernet adapter is better than wifi. You could also use powerline adapters which are pretty good too and don't suffer from the wifi signal issues. If you play a lot of fast action games move the internet gateway (cable modem/DSL) and plug it directly to your computer via a cable because that is more or less the best combination. Sometimes it's just easier to move the cable modem to the computer instead of the computer to the cable modem.
August 28, 2012 6:52:00 PM

BTW, realtek and lower end model broadcom ethernet adapters are terrible but should be okay for your home needs.
August 28, 2012 7:58:26 PM

Just get an PCIe Gigabit adapter from Intel. I've had one for about 4 years and it has been like a rock (I went with a dedicated NIC because I got tired of messing around with flaky onboard NICs). Should run you around $35. Intel's driver support is outstanding, as well.
August 29, 2012 3:00:46 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel EXPI9400PT Gigabit Copper Connection for Servers 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 - OEM

I know it says for servers but you can also use it for the desktop and it gives you some really good software and if your really the type that wants to go all out you can get two of these and have them set up in teaming mode.Teaming mode is where yo use two nic cards and one is for download and the other ids upload and there are other ways to set them up as well.

The other nic card that you can use and this is the one that I use is this;

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

It comes with software that lets you control the access to the internet from the programs on your computer so that you can give priority to games over any other processes that are open on your computer and it also bypasses the Windows stack for faster internet access.
!