Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is it possible to get 2 graphics cards thats will work better then 1 gtx560?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 16, 2011 9:16:56 PM

i want to be able to play bf3 at maximum settings and was wondering if it is possible to buy 2 graphics cards each costing roughly 60 - 80 pounds that can perform this ? or is it better just to buy one gtx560?

any help appreciated
a c 251 U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 9:46:35 PM

MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$129.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do realize that this is for prices here in the U.S. but I listed the card to show what you can get to put in SLI and be better than one 560 , so depending on what the prices are where you live you can make you decision based on those prices. The further down the list you go the more sense it makes to get the one 560. You can check out the prices of the;

XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$129.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...
a c 236 U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 9:59:24 PM

shadow23 said:
i want to be able to play bf3 at maximum settings and was wondering if it is possible to buy 2 graphics cards each costing roughly 60 - 80 pounds that can perform this ? or is it better just to buy one gtx560?

any help appreciated

You might want to read this article on microstuttering:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

My take is that you are better off with a single great card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 10:46:33 PM

inzone said:
MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$129.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do realize that this is for prices here in the U.S. but I listed the card to show what you can get to put in SLI and be better than one 560 , so depending on what the prices are where you live you can make you decision based on those prices. The further down the list you go the more sense it makes to get the one 560. You can check out the prices of the;

XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$129.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...

6790 is no good 6870 cfx is the way to go.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 10:51:49 PM

shadow23 said:
i want to be able to play bf3 at maximum settings and was wondering if it is possible to buy 2 graphics cards each costing roughly 60 - 80 pounds that can perform this ? or is it better just to buy one gtx560?

any help appreciated

CrossfireX if you board supports it 2 6770 in CFX will perform like one GTX 580 or very close to it in BF3 and all in will cost you around 150 pounds for both.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 12:51:31 AM

Headspin_69 said:
CrossfireX if you board supports it 2 6770 in CFX will perform like one GTX 580 or very close to it in BF3 and all in will cost you around 150 pounds for both.


6770 performs nowhere near a 580 at all.
6770/5770 will be perform all the way up to 5870 performance. but on average they are more comparable 470 or 5850.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 12:59:44 AM

spentshells said:
6770 performs nowhere near a 580 at all.
6770/5770 will be perform all the way up to 5870 performance. but on average they are more comparable 470 or 5850.

Read some benchmarks the 6770 CROSSFIREX that means TWO cards perform like an GTX 580 or close to it.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:02:06 AM

560ti in SLI is faster than 6770 CF and the GTX 580 which meets his buget
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:05:09 AM

monsta said:
560ti in SLI is faster than 6770 CF and the GTX 580 which meets his buget

560ti SLI goes above his budget by more than 2x thats why i suggested two cards that still perform great together in todays games maxed out at 1080p.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:07:25 AM

Ooops read it wrong.LOL
One 560ti is good enough and meets his budget.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:15:09 AM

monsta said:
Ooops read it wrong.LOL
One 560ti is good enough and meets his budget.

Two 6770s in CFX are well under his budget and run games faster than one GTX 560ti by a long shot.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:28:24 AM

A lot of bad information being tossed around. You want max settings in BF3? Be prepared to spend $650-700 on GPUs. Even a gtx580 won't cut it for +60 fps. You want to just play the game and have it look nice? gtx560 or hd6870 should suffice at medium settings. It is not an easy game to max, but get over it.

There is no way you're maxing BF3 for 80 pounds unless you rob somebody. It's not a Source engine game. 2x6770 won't come close. Again, that's medium settings territory. Neither will a single 560ti (or two). I play medium settings w/ high textures (with 2xMSAA and SSAO) with 2x5850. Everything else I turn everything up, but BF3 will murder your framerates. I guess if you're not concerned with getting playable framerates, you could probably bump the settings up and get killed alot, but I prefer to be able to participate in online games.

To summarize and answer your question, NO.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:30:47 AM

hapkido said:
A lot of bad information being tossed around. You want max settings in BF3? Be prepared to spend $650-700 on GPUs. Even a gtx580 won't cut it for +60 fps. You want to just play the game and have it look nice? gtx560 or hd6870 should suffice at medium settings. It is not an easy game to max, but get over it.

There is no way you're maxing BF3 for 80 pounds unless you rob somebody. It's not a Source engine game. 2x6770 won't come close. Again, that's medium settings territory. Neither will a single 560ti (or two). I play medium settings w/ high textures (with 2xMSAA and SSAO) with 2x5850. Everything else I turn everything up, but BF3 will murder your framerates. I guess if you're not concerned with getting playable framerates, you could probably bump the settings up and get killed alot, but I prefer to be able to participate in online games.

To summarize and answer your question, NO.



How high does your FPS go up when you turn off SSAO? In JC2 with my 5670 turning SSAo raised my fps by 10... But I doubt that game was optimized for SSAO :) 

And IMO, it is a really BAD idea to START off with a Crossfire/SLI solution
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:33:25 AM

hapkido said:
A lot of bad information being tossed around. You want max settings in BF3? Be prepared to spend $650-700 on GPUs. Even a gtx580 won't cut it for +60 fps. You want to just play the game and have it look nice? gtx560 or hd6870 should suffice at medium settings. It is not an easy game to max, but get over it.

There is no way you're maxing BF3 for 80 pounds unless you rob somebody. It's not a Source engine game. 2x6770 won't come close. Again, that's medium settings territory. Neither will a single 560ti (or two). I play medium settings w/ high textures (with 2xMSAA and SSAO) with 2x5850. Everything else I turn everything up, but BF3 will murder your framerates. I guess if you're not concerned with getting playable framerates, you could probably bump the settings up and get killed alot, but I prefer to be able to participate in online games.

To summarize and answer your question, NO.

Ya but a 6970 will come close and that is how CFX 6770s perform in BF3 but ya I completely agree that to completely max out with all settings and AA/AF MLAA etc you need at leased 6870 CFX which is out of the OPs range.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:53:17 AM

I'm going to answer both of you in one post.

Mouse, I'm not suggesting the OP starts with a multi-GPU setup. I'm saying his expectations are super unrealistic with his budget. And I have SSAO on, not off. HBAO is the next step up.

Headspin, I have 2x5850, which is maybe slightly worse than 2x6870 (and better than 1x6970). There is NO WAY you're maxing BF3 at +60 fps with 2x6870. Some people are cool with 40 fps because they're ok with dying a lot, but that's not maxing IMO. And his budget is 120-160 pounds. He'd need an extra 400-500 pounds to even think about maxing BF3. 160 pounds could probably net him a 6870 which should make BF3 playable at the medium settings.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:55:33 AM

A single 560ti can play at Ultra with a couple of settings like AA and AO turned off , which is within his budget.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:56:47 AM

hapkido said:
I'm going to answer both of you in one post.

Mouse, I'm not suggesting the OP starts with a multi-GPU setup. I'm saying his expectations are super unrealistic with his budget. And I have SSAO on, not off. HBAO is the next step up.

Headspin, I have 2x5850, which is maybe slightly worse than 2x6870 (and better than 1x6970). There is NO WAY you're maxing BF3 at +60 fps with 2x6870. Some people are cool with 40 fps because they're ok with dying a lot, but that's not maxing IMO. And his budget is 60-80 pounds. He'd need an extra 400-500 pounds to even think about maxing BF3. 80 pounds could probably net him a 6770 which should make BF3 playable at the absolute lowest settings.

2x 6870 CFX scale substantialy better than 5850 CFX and the only setup that beats 6870 CFX in BF3 is a GTX 590 by a small marging and SLI GTX 580s at the top of the pile.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:58:33 AM

monsta said:
A single 560ti can play at Ultra with a couple of settings like AA and AO turned off , which is within his budget.

so can 6770CFX only better than one 560ti
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:09:46 AM

Headspin_69 said:
so can 6770CFX only better than one 560ti


Yeah, but add up the price difference, power consumption, and microstuttering... We got ourselves quite teh AMD fanboy here, don't we?

@op I have three HD6950s in CFX and they can hold out at 60FPS, but BF3 is quite an intensive game for CPU as well as GPU. A GTX580 would run ultra at maybe 50ish, as three 6950s are a fair amount more powerful than a 580, but mean more bottleneck and power consumption. If I overclock my CPU, I do get better FPS though.

You should look at 560Ti, or if you decide you want a bit more power, a 6950.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:11:18 AM

FtsArTek said:
Yeah, but add up the price difference, power consumption, and microstuttering... We got ourselves quite teh AMD fanboy here, don't we?

@op I have three HD6950s in CFX and they can hold out at 60FPS, but BF3 is quite an intensive game for CPU as well as GPU. A GTX580 would run ultra at maybe 50ish, as three 6950s are a fair amount more powerful than a 580, but mean more bottleneck and power consumption. If I overclock my CPU, I do get better FPS though.

You should look at 560Ti, or if you decide you want a bit more power, a 6950.

6770 CFX is less power consumtion than a single 560 ti PS I am only loyal to my Wallet.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:12:39 AM

Headspin_69 said:
so can 6770CFX only better than one 560ti


I have 2x5850 and get about 20fps at Ultra settings @1200p in BF3. And I'm fairly confident it's way more powerful than 2x6770, considering 2x6770 is about as fast as a single 5870, 6950, 470, or 560ti. Unless you can prove that $220 worth of entry level cards bests setups costing 2-3 times more. Seriously, stop spreading nonsense.

You want to max BF3, be prepared to pay for it. It's not happening with ANY single GPU.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:18:28 AM

hapkido said:
I have 2x5850 and get about 20fps at Ultra settings @1200p in BF3. And I'm fairly confident it's way more powerful than 2x6770, considering 2x6770 is about as fast as a single 5870, 6950, 470, or 560ti. Unless you can prove that $220 worth of entry level cards bests setups costing 2-3 times more. Seriously, stop spreading nonsense.

You want to max BF3, be prepared to pay for it. It's not happening with ANY single GPU.

Its a good thing I don't support EA games then again with unoptimized games like BF3 and Crysis its not a big loss ether LOL.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:29:28 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Its a good thing I don't support EA games then again with unoptimized games like BF3 and Crysis its not a big loss ether LOL.


So your opinion is completely uninformed (and wrong)...

Here you are telling the OP about what he needs to max BF3 and you don't even play the game and you haven't read any articles from someone who has. You've obviously never seen a benchmark pertaining to this, yet you're so adamant that 2x6770 with max it (or you're lying). No, it won't. He'd look forward to spending his hard-earned money on something and then realize he was trolled by a stranger giving bad advice.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:32:47 AM

hapkido said:
So your opinion is completely uninformed (and wrong)...

Here you are telling the OP about what he needs to max BF3 and you don't even play the game and you haven't read any articles from someone who has. You've obviously never seen a benchmark pertaining to this, yet you're so adamant that 2x6770 with max it (or you're lying). No, it won't. He'd look forward to spending his hard-earned money on something and then realize he was trolled by a stranger giving bad advice.

I played BF3 however I never payed for BF3 and anything that you say that might max out BF3 is way out of his price range Dunce.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:37:35 AM

I'm going to say this bluntly, get a single card, deal with having less noise, less xfire issues, less heat, less power consumption, turn down AA/AF/MSAA to 2x, and some settings on medium, and bing bang boom there we go.

or spend 300 bucks on a gpu, your choice :p 
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:46:08 AM

mouse24 said:
I'm going to say this bluntly, get a single card, deal with having less noise, less xfire issues, less heat, less power consumption, turn down AA/AF/MSAA to 2x, and some settings on medium, and bing bang boom there we go.

or spend 300 bucks on a gpu, your choice :p 

I have run CFX in the past Radeon HD 4890s and it was everything great and non of the bad that people are claiming today such as micro stuttering and bad drivers etc so I am inclined to believe that indeed Radeon did in fact refine the 6xxx series to be even more efficient at CFX scaling like they have claimed and I have seen. That being said I would never buy a single low/med end today I would get med/high end card hands down if it was just had to be a single card solution.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:08:14 AM

Does 6770 CF run BF3 at ultra settings at a playable frame rate?
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:18:25 AM

monsta said:
Does 6770 CF run BF3 at ultra settings at a playable frame rate?


No.

Not even close.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:26:05 AM

Exactly..
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:44:15 AM

monsta said:
Exactly..

Not the point OP needs something within a budget he inclosed end of story and so what if he has to turn down a setting or two LOL.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:52:23 AM

Headspin_69 said:
so can 6770CFX only better than one 560ti



You actually said that it could? LMAO
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:56:16 AM

that sounds about right. But that bull about 6770s is just plucked out of thin air. For what the OP is wanting to spend, you can't max out BF3 at the moment.
December 17, 2011 3:57:25 AM

hapkido said:
I have 2x5850 and get about 20fps at Ultra settings @1200p in BF3. And I'm fairly confident it's way more powerful than 2x6770, considering 2x6770 is about as fast as a single 5870, 6950, 470, or 560ti. Unless you can prove that $220 worth of entry level cards bests setups costing 2-3 times more. Seriously, stop spreading nonsense.

You want to max BF3, be prepared to pay for it. It's not happening with ANY single GPU.



Maybe you should stop spreading nonsense... My rig plays BF3 on ultra without a hiccup utilizing a single gpu card.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:58:08 AM

Headspin_69 said:
6770 CFX is less power consumtion than a single 560 ti PS I am only loyal to my Wallet.


Show me something that confirms that.
December 17, 2011 3:59:13 AM

FtsArTek said:
that sounds about right. But that bull about 6770s is just plucked out of thin air. For what the OP is wanting to spend, you can't max out BF3 at the moment.



Totally agree, no way in his price range... best he can do is find a 5970 for the crazy price of $200... Sad, black friday is over though...
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:01:47 AM

zloginet said:
Maybe you should stop spreading nonsense... My rig plays BF3 on ultra without a hiccup utilizing a single gpu card.


Hapkido has his facts a little off, because a 580, and maybe a 570 or 6970 could do it at playable FPS, but a single 6950 can't. What's your setup? However, Headspin's the one who is really spreading the nonsense, I think Hapkido may have thought his stuff out a bit wrong.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:01:54 AM

Headspin_69 said:
CrossfireX if you board supports it 2 6770 in CFX will perform like one GTX 580 or very close to it in BF3 and all in will cost you around 150 pounds for both.



Have you even played BF3? LOL
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:04:34 AM

zloginet said:
Totally agree, no way in his price range... best he can do is find a 5970 for the crazy price of $200... Sad, black friday is over though...


Well, where I live (NZ) I found a 5970 for $220, but that's the cheapest I've seen one and it was second hand.

That's maybe $170 USD?

@op I think in this price range, a 560Ti or 6950 would do you well. One note though, BF3 does actually make use of that extra 1GB VRAM in the 6950s.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:05:38 AM

monsta said:
Have you even played BF3? LOL

Already posted yes I have played BF3 on my GTX 275 I received FPS in the mid 40s to high 50s on HIGH settings LOL it looked and played very well on DX9 LOL
December 17, 2011 4:06:06 AM

FtsArTek said:
Hapkido has his facts a little off, because a 580, and maybe a 570 or 6970 could do it at playable FPS, but a single 6950 can't. What's your setup? However, Headspin's the one who is really spreading the nonsense, I think Hapkido may have thought his stuff out a bit wrong.


I average BF3 at 45+ FPS on Ultra on a 52 Sony XBR9 1920x1080

AMD 1100t BE @ 4.2ish.... 217x19
MSI R6970 Lightning TwinFrozrIII Stock 940/1375
Corsair Force GT 120gb
Asus Form V Crosshair
8gb Ripjaw

Proof below


http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultra_battleb...
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:06:31 AM

monsta said:
Have you even played BF3? LOL


I don't think he has. In any case, two GTX460s are ALMOST as powerful as aGTX580, and the Radeon equivalent is between 6850/6870. My old pair of 460s can't max out BF3 at all.
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:06:36 AM

Headspin_69 said:
6770 CFX is less power consumtion than a single 560 ti PS I am only loyal to my Wallet.





Wrong wrong wrong......again!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-6770-iceqx-tur...

Lower is better
6670 CF = 196
560ti = 169

Looks like the only loyalty you have is false facts
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:07:59 AM

zloginet said:
I average BF3 at 45+ FPS on Ultra on a 52 Sony XBR9 1920x1080

AMD 1100t BE @ 4.2ish.... 217x19
MSI R6970 Lightning TwinFrozrIII Stock 940/1375
Corsair Force GT 120gb
Asus Form V Crosshair
8gb Ripjaw

Proof below


http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultra_battleb...


That's realistic, see? 6770 CFX? No.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:09:16 AM

FtsArTek said:
I don't think he has. In any case, two GTX460s are ALMOST as powerful as aGTX580, and the Radeon equivalent is between 6850/6870. My old pair of 460s can't max out BF3 at all.

Typical Nvida boy response and 6870 is faster than GTX 460 6850 is even faster than a GTX 460 unless you are talking a highly OCed GTX 460 1GB HAWK Edition in that case it is faster than a factory Vanilla 6870.
December 17, 2011 4:09:21 AM

What he needs is the 560ti 448core or whatever it is... its expensive but its on the same level as a 570 almost...
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:12:56 AM

Headspin_69 said:
wow big discrepancy of 25Watts give or take LOL.



Owned!
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:14:44 AM

zloginet said:
What he needs is the 560ti 448core or whatever it is... its expensive but its on the same level as a 570 almost...

It was already concluded by many pro reviewers that it is 560ti OC or GTX 570 over GTX 448 because the price of the 560ti 448 is just to close for comfort to justify it over a GTX 570 and 560ti can meet and exceed ti 448 performance for far less money.
!