GPRS roaming question

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
March 25, 2005 5:18:29 AM

hello,

When I roam on other service providers, what kind of IP address do I get
when I connect with GPRS Internet? Is it my provider's or the roaming
partners' ? What about the limitations (e.g. my provider blocks inbound
ports)?

More about : gprs roaming question

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:29:28 AM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:18:29 -0600, P T Wang wrote
(in article <VxK0e.2324$c76.1809@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>):

> When I roam on other service providers, what kind of IP address do I get
> when I connect with GPRS Internet? Is it my provider's or the roaming
> partners' ? What about the limitations (e.g. my provider blocks inbound
> ports)?

I *believe* that you go in through your provider's access point - which for
Cingular and Media Works means that you sit behind a 10.x NAT.

I think that if you go through Cingular's isp.cingular access point you may
get a real IP address, but I've never used it so can't be sure.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:48:47 AM

Verne Arase wrote:

> I *believe* that you go in through your provider's access point - which for
> Cingular and Media Works means that you sit behind a 10.x NAT.
>
> I think that if you go through Cingular's isp.cingular access point you may
> get a real IP address, but I've never used it so can't be sure.

Like this?

me -> Foreign provider -> Home provider -> Internet
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:45:39 AM

You use the same address as at home, so, it's like they said

you -----> foreign------> home ----> internet

therefor you'll have to pay the roaming costs, those are different from
network to network. most of them support the gprs, but not all. before you
leave, check with your provider

"P T Wang" <goto@paultwang.com.and.find.out.invalid> schreef in bericht
news:p l91e.3985$c76.2952@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...

!