GPRS roaming question

hello,

When I roam on other service providers, what kind of IP address do I get
when I connect with GPRS Internet? Is it my provider's or the roaming
partners' ? What about the limitations (e.g. my provider blocks inbound
ports)?
3 answers Last reply
More about gprs roaming question

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:18:29 -0600, P T Wang wrote
    (in article <VxK0e.2324$c76.1809@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>):

    > When I roam on other service providers, what kind of IP address do I get
    > when I connect with GPRS Internet? Is it my provider's or the roaming
    > partners' ? What about the limitations (e.g. my provider blocks inbound
    > ports)?

    I *believe* that you go in through your provider's access point - which for
    Cingular and Media Works means that you sit behind a 10.x NAT.

    I think that if you go through Cingular's isp.cingular access point you may
    get a real IP address, but I've never used it so can't be sure.

    Verne Arase wrote:

    > I *believe* that you go in through your provider's access point - which for
    > Cingular and Media Works means that you sit behind a 10.x NAT.
    >
    > I think that if you go through Cingular's isp.cingular access point you may
    > get a real IP address, but I've never used it so can't be sure.

    Like this?

    me -> Foreign provider -> Home provider -> Internet

    You use the same address as at home, so, it's like they said

    you -----> foreign------> home ----> internet

    therefor you'll have to pay the roaming costs, those are different from
    network to network. most of them support the gprs, but not all. before you
    leave, check with your provider

    "P T Wang" <goto@paultwang.com.and.find.out.invalid> schreef in bericht
    > Verne Arase wrote:
    > >
    > > I *believe* that you go in through your provider's access point - which
    for
    > > Cingular and Media Works means that you sit behind a 10.x NAT.
    > >
    > > I think that if you go through Cingular's isp.cingular access point you
    may
    > > get a real IP address, but I've never used it so can't be sure.
    > >

    > Like this?
    >
    > me -> Foreign provider -> Home provider -> Internet

GSM