Cpu cooling issue

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I have a cooling question that I am rather irritated at the moment with. Once every 8 to 12 hrs I get a "cpu fan failure" window pop-up. I have a "GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H" for the mobo and also have a "COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus" with two 120 fans.One is running through the cpu 4 pin socket and the other is running from the 3 pin power fan next to the memory sockets. Both fans are running fine. My BIOS is set as : cpu warning temp @ 70c/158f,cpu fan warning-disabled,system fan 1 &2 -disabled,Power fan fail warning - disabled,cpu smart fan control -enabled. My system temp is at 32c and my cpu temp is at 20c. Now if my system over heats it should power off by itself. I have watched in the BIOS that the cpu fan control line will say that the rmp drops to (o rpm) from (800 rpm) and that the Power fan speed is almost constant at (2000 rpm). Is there some thing else that I am missing that would make the "cpu fan failure" window pop-up ? Any help with this would be great or if the thread needs to be moved to a different forum area.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I think that the optimal arrangement to have two identical fans on your CPU cooler and then have them both plugged into the CPU fan header using a Y cable like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189063

If you are using two different headers, I believe that the fans may run at different speeds and interfere with cooling. Also, this may happen if you are using two different fans.

Edit:

You also want to be sure that the fans are pushing air in the same direction.

fan--->cooler--->fan--->

Where '--->' is the direction of air flow.

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
That would work except that the "COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus" fan is only a 4 pin and most if not all after market are 3 pin ( I am using coolerMaster also ) 120mm fans on both intake and exhaust. Anyways would the mobo be able to power two 120mm fans from one pin socket ?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The fans have to have the same rpm and air displacement stats. It isn't good enough to just say that they are both 120mm. 120mm is just the size of the frame around the fan. All fans will be rated for RPM and cfm (air displacement). Both of these should be the same for optimal preformance.

In regards to the power question, the answer is yes, you can run 2 fans from one header. I have the same set up (2 fans, y connector) plugged into my cpu fan header and it powers them just fine.

I think this is a 4 pin y cable if you need one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200991

Or, you could plug your fans directly into your PSU cables and have them run at 100% all the time using a fan to molex adapter. Many times these adapters are included in the fan box, under the cardboard. I know the Cooler Master fans that I bought had them.

My best recommendation is buy another fan like the one that you added and use the Y cable on the cpu header.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

hOW COULD YOU HAVE A FAN FAILURE WHEN THE TEMP IS LOW AS YOU STATED? SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE MOTHERBOARD.