Voltage drops?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
After having tested just about every component and just recently reformatting and installing a new mobo/CPU/memory combo, my PC is -still- randomly hanging (never crashing). I potentially stumbled across the answer being voltage drops in the power at my apartment complex. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there a way to test it without a voltage meter (my guess is no)? Is a dedicated UPS battery a solution? I know it wouldn't be bad to have one anyway, but I'm just curious if this could actually be a problem. I have a HWMonitor log that ran for most of a day I think, which is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2653951/HWMonitor.txt but I can't really tell how to make any sense of it.

Thoughts?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Yeah, that's a good idea that for some reason I never thought of. The strange thing is, my computer was having these same symptoms at a previous duplex. At that point I had tested via replacement the GPU, PSU, HDD, DVD-RW and memory. This problem has been plaguing me for a few years now it's so annoying lol

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I guess if the monitor puts it there it should be true, right? I'm not very familiar with temperature ranges, but this seems weird as I believe I had a panel off my computer while this was running. I have the Intel 2500K and am using the stock heatsink, but maybe I should consider getting another heat sink? I thought I applied the thermal paste properly but I guess I could have screwed it up somehow? Do you have a good aftermarket heat sink to recommend? Preferably something affordable.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
The BIOS hardware monitor won't show what it's at under full load though, correct? I'll check it out for sure, but I went ahead and ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and some Arctic Silver (had been using non name brand stuff before) and will re-seat it properly making sure I don't screw it up this time.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Replacing the stock CPU cooler is a good idea, but What is your PC case? Does your case have a lot of intake and exaust fans? Having these fans will really help bring down the temp.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I've got the Antec P180 with three large fans in it.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Okay I saw the picture of Antec P180 and I notice that it has front cover, does it have a front intake fans? and if does, when you are stressing your PC don't close the front cover so that air will come inside the case.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

It has front intake fans and there are vents on either side of the front cover, so air should be coming in just fine. I looked at the CPU temp in the bios and it was at about 33-34 degrees C, so I think the "CPUTIN" reading on the hardware monitor is incorrect. I forgot to take a screenshot, but my readings look a lot like this guys': http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6507/cpuidhwmonitor1.jpg who had a similar problem (though his computer was working fine). My "package" temp under where it says Intel 2500k (for me) was below 40 degrees C. I'm not sure what CPUTIN is on my computer, but I don't believe it's problematic. This leads me to believe again that it could be voltage drops, which I will hopefully be checking for at some point soon.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Off course the temp is low when you are in the BIOS, But when you are stressing the CPU, the Temp will rise up, right? Remember that high temp on the CPU will gradually degrade the performance of the entire system. Have you change the CPU cooler already?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I feel like the Intel Core i5 2500K -> Temperatures -> Package reading is the correct reading, but of course I could be wrong. I have the HSF and Arctic Silver (had used generic before, dunno if that matters) on the way from NewEgg, so should be able to replace it on Monday.

CPUTIN is not the CPU temperature ,it's the temperature of a diode in the vicinity of the CPU.
You need to be concerned with the core temps are and yours look fine.

The same symptom's in 2 separate duplexes ? Highly unlikely that it's a voltage issue on the AC side then.
Do the house lights dim when the refrigerator comes on ?

I'd be more inclined to believe that the old X1950 has more to do with your issue's than anything else, then again, we don't know what you're using for a power supply.

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
I have the Antec Phantom 500. Before I got my CPU/mobo/memory upgrade, I had tested a second power supply as well as a second (fairly equivalent GeForce I believe) GPU and the problem was still there. Is it worth taking my video card out and using the onboard graphics to see if that helps?

Wow, I'd put all the blame there but you go on to say that you used a second psu.
Was it as old as the Phantom ?

bccarlso

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I believe so, yeah. Could it be that I need a higher wattage PSU? I would have thought 500 would cover it, and the calculator here (http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx) says 400 is sufficient.