Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 6:10:33 AM

Parts to be discussed
Asus P8Z68-V/Pro Gen 3
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Cooler Master Hyper 212 +
WD Caviar Black 1TB

Hello,
Today I completed my first self built rig. Unfortunately, when I started my rig and looked at its temp in bios I noticed that it was at 78 degrees F. I also noticed that the bar next to one of my case fans in bios was red. Alarmed, I turned the computer off and almost immediately checked under the cpu cooler. Unsure if I had used too much, I cleaned it off and reapplied my AS5. When I turned it on again it I noticed that there was a message that read CPU Fan Error. I looked at bios and it was at the same temp as before so I hard reset again and immediately came onto toms hardware. I'm afraid to fiddle around with it anymore until I get some solid answers.

When I applied the AS5 I put it on the cpu cooler. As some of you may know the hyper 212+ has 4 exposed bronze pipes. How I applied it both time was in small lines on the middle three non bronze parts and set it down over the CPU. When I was attempting to get the metal x part(forgot what its cold) the cpu cooler kept getting slightly moved as I struggled to get it on/

Additionally, I have my HDD attached via a 6gb per second cable and in both cases the system said I didn't have a HDD attached. I tried witrh a different cable the second time. Could it be that I'm putting it into the wrong HDD port? Should I have it in the one that says Marvell in the manual?.

Hope to hear from you all soon! Best wishes!

More about : cpu fan error extreme temps

a c 236 à CPUs
February 15, 2012 7:36:36 AM

do you have the fan on the heat sink plugged in to the correct header on the mb?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 9:35:15 AM

I bet you didnt take the small sheet of plastic off the bottom of the CPU cooler.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:16:11 PM

@sosofm: I was told there were many ways to put on the thermal paste and that the way I did was best for one with exposed pipes such as mine.

@Outlander_04: I do. I tried the regular CPU_Fan and CPU_FAN_OPT

@vrumor: I can assure you I did =).

I haven't tried it on since the times talked about in this post.
m
l
February 15, 2012 2:35:44 PM

Is 78 degrees Farenheit abnormally high for a CPU? I regularly see temps of 100+ F when under load on my i5-2500k
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 2:47:31 PM

Did you convert F into C. C is a low number but converts high is F. for example is your CPU went up to 73C it would only be maybe 80F or somthing like idk. you just gotta convert F into C
m
l
February 15, 2012 3:01:15 PM

Rockdpm said:
Did you convert F into C. C is a low number but converts high is F. for example is your CPU went up to 73C it would only be maybe 80F or somthing like idk. you just gotta convert F into C

CPUID displays in both C and F. My original statement is correct. Is 110F a high temp for a CPU? If not, then the OP has nothign to worry about.

BTW, a reading of 73C would be VERY HIGH, 158F.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 3:25:34 PM

Oh if its Fahrenheit then its fine heh. Missed that part.
m
l
February 15, 2012 6:52:51 PM

So I'm a little confused. 78 degrees fahrenheit is a normal temperature for a computer during bios? I also am unsure about the cpu fan error and what I should do about bios telling me that my hard disk drive was not connected.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2012 7:34:48 PM

78 degrees fahrenheit is room temperature. 78 degrees celsius is baking temps. Huge difference.
m
l

Best solution

a c 460 à CPUs
February 15, 2012 7:52:23 PM

78F (25.5C) is just fine.....in fact it's good. Of course the heat sink's viability at idle is kinda meaningless.....what we are concerned about is what temp does it hit when running Prime 95, Linpak or OCCT CPU Test. 78C wouldn't get me all that excited as a 1st OC attempt on the hoittest core, knowing I can knock that down with a few tweaks to below 72C.

There is no "single way" to apply thermal paste just like there is no single way to do just about anything. The best way will vary depending mostly on the type of cooler used and the type of TIM used.

Here's a couple of tips:

1. Use an application method as recommended by your cooler manufacturer and / or TIM vendor ..... thicker TIM's and square / round coolers tend to favor the pea method..... HDT coolers favor the 2 line method.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

2. Don't use AS5. The manufacturer gives you a darn good reason not to use it on their own web site (see bottom of AS5 home page warning about curing time). Yes, it has excellent thermal properties but it's 200 hour cure time make it such that ya gotta wait a dang long time before it reaches peak performance....and it's not 200 hours running time....it's 200 hours of thermal cycling . In other words if you play a 4 hour gaming session, the 5 minutes it spent warming up and 5 minutes cooling down gets you only 10 minutes of thermal cycling towards those 200 hours, not 4 hours

Quote:
So by my estimation of this statement it would take almost a year of normal use to properly cure the AC5 compound, or almost nine days of continuous power cycles to meet their recommendation.

Shin Etsu has the exact same thermal properties as AS5, is 40% of the cost and has no curing issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. Remember that the Hyper 212 is great cooler .... that is great cooler for a $1,000 - $1,200 machine, where it is perfectly suited and matched with other similar quality components. If you're spending $1500, it's worth the investment to go to a Hyper 612 PWM for $20 more..... If ya spending $1800, it's worth it to go to a Phanteks or Silver Arrow for a few dollars more.
February 16, 2012 1:18:02 AM

Ah I see, so 78 degrees F is fine for just being on BIOS.

I'd heard of those programs but I don't know much about them.

For the thermal paste I actually did use the AS5 and since the heatsink had more pipes than Olin's guide shows so I used one line on each of the three center grey parts.

I wish I had known about how long it would take to get to 200 hours. I will admit to assuming that meant 200 hours of running time.

Thats about how much my built costs so I guess I made an alright choice.

On a side note, I tried to install drivers off the disc for the EVGA GTX 560 Ti and it caused my computer to restart and it ended up where I was before I installed windows seven to my hard drive. I reset it and it worked fine. What could this mean?
m
l
May 20, 2012 8:25:29 PM

Best answer selected by dercdell1.
m
l