Sign in with
Your question

Swapped out a noisy power supply, doesn't start out now?

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2012 10:03:17 PM

Hey guys, I had a PC I built and the power supply was super noisy, but otherwise everything worked fine. I got a new PSU today, and hooked everything up, but now pressing the power button does nothing. The motherboard speaker doesn't make any noise at all. However, there's an LED on the motherboard which turns on/off when I hit the on/off switch on the power supply, so I know there's power coming in.

I'm a bit confused as I've never had this issue before. The power supply could be broken, but then why would that LED react when I hit the on/off switch?

Thanks!
a c 716 ) Power supply
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 10:11:16 PM

Make sure that you connected everything correctly and you did not bump something else loose in the process, if you find nothing wrong swap back the old PSU and see if it works. If it works then you got a bad unit!
m
l
June 1, 2012 10:34:07 PM

I swapped back to the old unit and everything works fine. You're right, it must just be busted I guess.
m
l
Related resources
a c 716 ) Power supply
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 10:46:53 PM

Looks like it! What brand is it?
m
l
June 1, 2012 10:49:15 PM

Retail Plus. I live in a small town in Northern Canada so we're extremely limited in regards to computer components up here... just didn't want to order one in because it normally takes three weeks.
m
l
a c 716 ) Power supply
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 10:55:41 PM

mzor203 said:
Retail Plus. I live in a small town in Northern Canada so we're extremely limited in regards to computer components up here... just didn't want to order one in because it normally takes three weeks.

I think ordering a quality one is worth 3 weeks waiting against having to go through some crappy ones that might even take out your other components.
m
l
!