PSU connections

TwistedDTM

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello,
I have a power supply (Powercool Modular 750W PSU) which has (on the back of the unit)2 PCI-e 8p connections and 2 PCI-e 6p connectors, which you can connect as necessary.
The power supply only came with 2 PCI-e 8p connection cables and none for the PCI-e 6p connections. Does anyone have any idea where i can get these cables? I am having no luck searching for them.

tlmck

Distinguished
According to the specs I can find, those 8 pin connectors are actually 6+2 connectors which means 2 of the pins should separate from the other 4 to create a 6 pin. The remaining 2 pis will just sort of dangle there. Many PSUs are coming in this config these days.

And just so you know, although some sites list that PSU as 80 Plus certified, I can find no record of their certification. Couple that with the various places they are sold, I would be careful and not overload it. If it gets to where the PSU fan is running at high speed and is very loud, you'll know you are reaching it's limits. Even though it states 750 watt, based on the electricals, it is more like 500 watt on a good day.

TwistedDTM

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Thats fine but basically, what I am thinking of doing is, in the near distant future upgrading my 2 HD 5770's for 2 HD 6870's. The HD6870's take 2 PCI-e power connectors though, so to have 2 i would need 4 PCI-e power connectors.
This is where the problem is. My power supply only came with 2 PCI-e 8p(6+2p) cables. It has connections on the PSU for 2 PCI-e 8p(6+2p) and 2 PCI-e 6p cables as well but no cables to connect to the PCI-e 6p.
Basically i have 4 connections on the PSU but only 2 cables. I just need to try and find 2 PCI-e 6p cables for my PSU. Any idea's where i will find these cables?

TwistedDTM

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Thats fine but basically, what I am thinking of doing is, in the near distant future upgrading my 2 HD 5770's for 2 HD 6870's. The HD6870's take 2 PCI-e power connectors though, so to have 2 i would need 4 PCI-e power connectors.
This is where the problem is. My power supply only came with 2 PCI-e 8p(6+2p) cables. It has connections on the PSU for 2 PCI-e 8p(6+2p) and 2 PCI-e 6p cables as well but no cables to connect to the PCI-e 6p.
Basically i have 4 connections on the PSU but only 2 cables. I just need to try and find 2 PCI-e 6p cables for my PSU. Any idea's where i will find these cables?

TwistedDTM

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012