this is the built i am planning to get for a HTPC after doing quite a lot of research... Idea is to consolidate home media files in 1 place + playback various formats DVDrips/BD rips files / mp3s/ pics galleries etc. No TV recording stuff.
- Case : Silverstone Grandia GD 06
- Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (rev 1.0) or ASUS® P8H61-MLE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0)
- CPU : Intel Core I3 Sandy Bridge 2105 (HD graphics 3000) or 2125 ifnot available
- System disk : SSD Crucial M4 64 GB (for system) or Samsung 830 (64gb) or an OCZ Vertex 3 (90gb) or a Mushkin Chronos deluxe (60GB)
- Storage : 2x2 TB WD caviar green 5400rpm HDor Seagate ST2000DL003Barracuda Green Hard Drive 2x2 TB
- DDR : G Skill eco series low voltage 2x2GB, if not available, a Corsair or Mushkin or kingston 1600 mhz kit will do
- Blue ray player : Optical Drive LG - BH10LS30
- Power Supply Seasonic X-460FL 460W Fanless Power
My priorities are the quality of the components, the silence and thelow-consumption.
As for the OS, i think Windows 7 home includes Media Center right ? Would i need any other licence in order to play Blue rays ? I reckon VLC is very limited on Blue ray playback...
Feel free to advise if you think anything might be missing. I have a
Logitech Di Novo mini already for keyboard/remote device.
My budget for the built is around 800-900€, that's roughly 1000-1100$.
For full blu-ray support (with menus, extras, and BD Live) the choices are PowerDVD, Total Media Theatre, or WinDVD.
PowerDVD and TMT are the better choices but both cost about $100. Arcsoft, the makers of TMT, always have a coupon code to lower the price. This one is good for 30% off. There's also this one that's good for 20% off.
thanks very much to all,
final built is as follow :
SILVERSTONE GD06(Black) MEDIA CASE
Corsair 430W 80Plus Builder Edition Non Modular
INTEL CORE I3 2125 (3.30GHZ, 3MB CACHE) / INTEL HD3000 ONBOARD GRAPHICS
QUIET SCYTHE SHURIKEN LOW PROFILE CPU COOLER
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 MOTHERBOARD
KINGSTON 8GB (2 x 4GB) HYPERX PC12800 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
PIONEER BLU RAY WRITER & DVD +/- REWRITER
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green, SATA 6Gb/s, 5900rpm HARD DRIVE
10/100/1000 ONBOARD GIGABIT NETWORK
7 CHANEL ONBOARD HD AUDIO
GENUINE MICROSOFT 64BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ( COA & DVD SUPPLIED )
Warranty: 2 Years Return To Base (1st Year Parts & Labour, 2nd Year Labour Only)
price is 1035 GBP
Hope its gonna last a couple of years then