Sign in with
Your question

Will these monitors combine to make a dual diplay?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2011 2:28:14 AM

I am getting ready to upgrade my monitor for Christmas and I want to combine my old monitor and new one. I am running an XFX Radeon HD 6870. My new monitor is going to be: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
My old monitor is this: http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-LC190SL1-19-Inch-720p-Bl...
Will they combine? I will be playing BF3 and my other question is will see an FPS drop in switching from 720p to 1600 x 900? On my old monitor I run 50-100+ FPS so what will my frames be with the new and old monitor together?
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2011 5:06:51 AM

Those are going to look horrible together if you are planning on playing on two screens at the same time.

Not only that but I find gaming on two monitors to be like, near impossible especially in FPS where your cross hair is in between the monitors. You need three monitors really.

With that said if you increase the resolution of course you are going to see a dip in FPS. A notice one too.

I'd just play single monitor on your new monitor and forget using the TV.
m
l
December 17, 2011 5:21:29 AM

Helltech said:
Those are going to look horrible together if you are planning on playing on two screens at the same time.

Not only that but I find gaming on two monitors to be like, near impossible especially in FPS where your cross hair is in between the monitors. You need three monitors really.

With that said if you increase the resolution of course you are going to see a dip in FPS. A notice one too.

I'd just play single monitor on your new monitor and forget using the TV.

I wasnt going to use it for a dual monitor display while gaming, just use the web while playing a game and just having two monitors together would be pretty cool. Also how much FPS will I drop? With that drop would it be better off to just get a 1080p monitor?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2011 7:17:07 AM

Ohhh well thats different. A lot of games disable your second monitor while you are playing them though, just so you know.

I can't tell you the amount of FPS you will drop but if you go from 720p to 1600x900 or 1920x1080 then your FPS will drop a fair bit depending the game. It is harder to render an image with 2 million pixels as opposed to 1 million pixels.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2011 7:24:20 AM

Your going from 1366x768 to a 1600x900.That's somewhat significant.But it shouldn't be that bad.I have a 6870 and I play BF3 @ 1600x900 with everything on high and maintain 50+fps.

If your just using the 2nd monitor for web browsing or light load stuff you shouldn't loose that much fps wise.Anywhere from 5-15fps drop is what I would guess depending on what your doing.
m
l
!