Character from GSM 03.38 not on the mobile

Last response: in Technologies
March 25, 2005 8:19:05 PM

Is it at all possible to send characters from the above standard, that
are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by using the hexadecimal or
decimal code or something like that?

Michael K. P.

More about : character gsm mobile

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:24:39 AM

Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:

> Is it at all possible to send characters from the above
> standard, that are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by
> using the hexadecimal or decimal code or something like that?

From the phone's keypad, it's highly unlikely that there's an
alternative mechanism.

If the phone supports GSM 07.05 PDU-mode "AT" commands, then you
can bypass the phone's PDU <=> text interpreter using the
serial port, although the programming required is non-trival.
The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.

John
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:27:33 AM

Earlier, I wrote:

> The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
> as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.

That should read GSM 03.38 of course.

John
March 26, 2005 2:13:01 PM

John Henderson wrote:
> Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:
>

>>Is it at all possible to send characters from the above
>>standard, that are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by
>>using the hexadecimal or decimal code or something like that?
>

> From the phone's keypad, it's highly unlikely that there's an
> alternative mechanism.
>
> If the phone supports GSM 07.05 PDU-mode "AT" commands, then you
> can bypass the phone's PDU <=> text interpreter using the
> serial port, although the programming required is non-trival.
> The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
> as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.
>
> John

I doubt, it supports that...it's a Nokia 3510i :)  So basically that
means, I guess, that there are no ways of doing that :(

Michael K. P.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:25:45 AM

Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:

> I doubt, it supports that [SMS commands from GSM 07.05]...it's
> a Nokia 3510i :)  So basically that means, I guess, that there
> are no ways of doing that :(

A quick google search indicates that the 3510i's got an internal
modem. That implies an "AT" command interpreter, and almost
certain support for GSM 07.05 commands.

You'd need a serial data cable, and some PC SMS software (DIY or
other suitable). If you're writing your own PDU-mode programs,
you'll need GSM spec 03.40 as well.

John
!