Character from GSM 03.38 not on the mobile

Is it at all possible to send characters from the above standard, that
are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by using the hexadecimal or
decimal code or something like that?

Michael K. P.
4 answers Last reply
More about character mobile

    Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:

    > Is it at all possible to send characters from the above
    > standard, that are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by
    > using the hexadecimal or decimal code or something like that?

    From the phone's keypad, it's highly unlikely that there's an
    alternative mechanism.

    If the phone supports GSM 07.05 PDU-mode "AT" commands, then you
    can bypass the phone's PDU <=> text interpreter using the
    serial port, although the programming required is non-trival.
    The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
    as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.

    John

    Earlier, I wrote:

    > The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
    > as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.

    That should read GSM 03.38 of course.

    John

    John Henderson wrote:
    > Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:
    >

    >>Is it at all possible to send characters from the above
    >>standard, that are not in the symbol table on your mobile, by
    >>using the hexadecimal or decimal code or something like that?
    >

    > From the phone's keypad, it's highly unlikely that there's an
    > alternative mechanism.
    >
    > If the phone supports GSM 07.05 PDU-mode "AT" commands, then you
    > can bypass the phone's PDU <=> text interpreter using the
    > serial port, although the programming required is non-trival.
    > The GSM 7-bit characters are then packed into hexadecimal form
    > as per clause 6.1.2.1.1 of GSM 03.08.
    >
    > John

    I doubt, it supports that...it's a Nokia 3510i :) So basically that
    means, I guess, that there are no ways of doing that :(

    Michael K. P.

    Michael Kragh Pedersen wrote:

    > I doubt, it supports that [SMS commands from GSM 07.05]...it's
    > a Nokia 3510i :) So basically that means, I guess, that there
    > are no ways of doing that :(

    A quick google search indicates that the 3510i's got an internal
    modem. That implies an "AT" command interpreter, and almost
    certain support for GSM 07.05 commands.

    You'd need a serial data cable, and some PC SMS software (DIY or
    other suitable). If you're writing your own PDU-mode programs,
    you'll need GSM spec 03.40 as well.

    John

GSM Mobile Decimal