Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 constantly freezing?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 7, 2012 10:31:26 PM

I have windows 7 home premium and it constantly freezes. I think it may be the video driver but I'm not sure, and if it was I wouldn't know how to fix it. I just wiped my computer so viruses can't be the problem. Surfing the internet I freeze, attempts at playing video games I freeze, it's a real nuisance. It already happened one time while typing this. It will last for about ten seconds and occur anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 minutes apart. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Specs are: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @1.86ghz 1.87 ghz

RAM:2.00GB

32bit

Video Drive:NVIDIA Geforce 2010

PS:Not very tech savvy so if you need something more in the specs please tell me.
January 7, 2012 11:17:16 PM

Go with your first suspicion and update your video driver. Go to NVIDIA's website, look for video drivers, and follow the instructions.

When you say "I just wiped my computer" - does that mean you just did a fresh install of Windows? If you did do a fresh install then that might be your problem since Windows needs a graphics driver to look smooth.
m
l
January 7, 2012 11:26:41 PM

I already did download my driver off NVIDIA website but I guess I can try again, and by wiping I mean I wiped my entire computer clean and installed windows 7. Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 9:07:10 PM

Spaztastic said:
I have windows 7 home premium and it constantly freezes. I think it may be the video driver but I'm not sure, and if it was I wouldn't know how to fix it. I just wiped my computer so viruses can't be the problem. Surfing the internet I freeze, attempts at playing video games I freeze, it's a real nuisance. It already happened one time while typing this. It will last for about ten seconds and occur anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 minutes apart. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

32bit

PS:Not very tech savvy so if you need something more in the specs please tell me.

m
l
January 9, 2012 9:09:10 PM

Spaztastic said:

32bit

Check all fans ( video,hdd,processor,case ) over heat will cause this
m
l
January 24, 2012 9:24:58 PM

Sorry for the very late reply I haven't been able to access a PC as I've been very busy. I checked the fans and they are working fine.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:27:20 AM

I'm pretty sure its not fan problems, I'll leave it off for a day and have it on for less than 1 minute and it will freeze. But I will check both anyways. Thank you very much for the response.
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:12:27 PM

hey!
im having the same problem, its dramatically annoying....have you found a way to sort it out?
i think its a conflict of allocation of graphic resources, maybe configuring better in the nvidia control panel, or elsewehere, would solve it all? i wrote to nvidia but still no answer...

here, im on a fresh install of win7 64bits, nvidia gt320 with latest drivers...and freezing as hell!
m
l
November 10, 2012 10:02:06 AM

I have the same issue however I just finished reading somewhere that it could be that the graphics card is dusty and needs to be cleaned, however I haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure if that's it or not.

Worth a try anyway and you'll also avoid a fire hazard as well.
m
l
January 29, 2013 7:09:03 PM

im new and seeking help, my windows 7 machine is constantly crashing its most often when surfing the web, ive done a system reinstall 3 times and has yet to fix this ive wiped all malware so that is also not the issue, its a windows 7 pc with a 3ghz Pentium processor 8gb of ram and integrated graphics, could it be a cache problem with my hdd or a memory problem?
m
l
!