Windows 7 constantly freezing?

I have windows 7 home premium and it constantly freezes. I think it may be the video driver but I'm not sure, and if it was I wouldn't know how to fix it. I just wiped my computer so viruses can't be the problem. Surfing the internet I freeze, attempts at playing video games I freeze, it's a real nuisance. It already happened one time while typing this. It will last for about ten seconds and occur anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 minutes apart. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Specs are: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @1.86ghz 1.87 ghz

RAM:2.00GB

32bit

Video Drive:NVIDIA Geforce 2010

PS:Not very tech savvy so if you need something more in the specs please tell me.
11 answers Last reply
More about windows constantly freezing
  1. Go with your first suspicion and update your video driver. Go to NVIDIA's website, look for video drivers, and follow the instructions.

When you say "I just wiped my computer" - does that mean you just did a fresh install of Windows? If you did do a fresh install then that might be your problem since Windows needs a graphics driver to look smooth.
  2. I already did download my driver off NVIDIA website but I guess I can try again, and by wiping I mean I wiped my entire computer clean and installed windows 7. Thanks for the help.
  3. Spaztastic said:
    I have windows 7 home premium and it constantly freezes. I think it may be the video driver but I'm not sure, and if it was I wouldn't know how to fix it. I just wiped my computer so viruses can't be the problem. Surfing the internet I freeze, attempts at playing video games I freeze, it's a real nuisance. It already happened one time while typing this. It will last for about ten seconds and occur anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 minutes apart. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

32bit

PS:Not very tech savvy so if you need something more in the specs please tell me.
  4. Spaztastic said:

32bit

Check all fans ( video,hdd,processor,case ) over heat will cause this
  5. Sorry for the very late reply I haven't been able to access a PC as I've been very busy. I checked the fans and they are working fine.
  6. Use a program like PC wizard to check you temperatures. Your fans might be working but they could be blocked by dust.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

Something like this could be the cause:

Also, use soimething like Memtest to check for memory problems (RAM errors could cause random freezing).

http://www.memtest.org/
  7. I'm pretty sure its not fan problems, I'll leave it off for a day and have it on for less than 1 minute and it will freeze. But I will check both anyways. Thank you very much for the response.
  8. bump please help
  9. hey!
    im having the same problem, its dramatically annoying....have you found a way to sort it out?
    i think its a conflict of allocation of graphic resources, maybe configuring better in the nvidia control panel, or elsewehere, would solve it all? i wrote to nvidia but still no answer...

here, im on a fresh install of win7 64bits, nvidia gt320 with latest drivers...and freezing as hell!
  10. I have the same issue however I just finished reading somewhere that it could be that the graphics card is dusty and needs to be cleaned, however I haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure if that's it or not.

Worth a try anyway and you'll also avoid a fire hazard as well.
  11. im new and seeking help, my windows 7 machine is constantly crashing its most often when surfing the web, ive done a system reinstall 3 times and has yet to fix this ive wiped all malware so that is also not the issue, its a windows 7 pc with a 3ghz Pentium processor 8gb of ram and integrated graphics, could it be a cache problem with my hdd or a memory problem?
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows 7