Exisitng or New Server for SQL Database

waitzkin

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I currently have a domain controller which hosts my windows network AD/Exchange and acts as a file server. It currently has 2 - 1TB Hard Drives, 16 GB RAM, and 2 - E5520 Processors @ 2.27 (16 logical processors total).

My question is whether to add 4 drives (RAID 10 array) to this server (if even possible) or get a new separate box for an SQL database and application that will take a significant amount of resources. It looks like the existing power supply does not even have the connections to connect 6 drives.

I know the answer most will say get a new box, but would I save much money trying to configure this server to work or would it be too much of a headache? Do you need more info to accurately answer this question? Just curious what some responses would be.

Thanks.

It all depends on how much load you currently have, and how much you expect will be added. If you have a small office with a dozen people or so, then I doubt you will have any problems adding the database role to that server. If you have a few hundered users that will all be hitting the database at the same time, then you may want to consider adding a new server. Assuming you already own the SQL license there isn't much risk in installing it on the existing box...

BTW - Your dual E5520 server has eight cores and eight hyperthreads for sixteen processing threads.