I5-2500k, temps seem a bit too high..

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
So, first off I'll put in the pedigree information:
NZXT Phantom with a 140mm intake fan in the front, I added.
Asus P8Z77-V
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Intel Core I5-2500k (running at stock clock speeds)
8gigs of Ram (GSKILL)
Seasonic Gold series X-650W PSU

Ambient temps. Always 20C, sometimes a little higher. I live in Texas, if that helps any.

None of my compnents are OC'ed.

I first installed this CPU with the stock HSF, idle temps were about 37c. I thought that was a bit high. So, I loaded up The Witcher 2, Ultra settings with Ubersampling enabled.

After about ten minutes of play, I stopped to check the temps on my components. The GPU was great, however my CPU had hit 71C.

I then tried Battlefield 3, single player, Operation Guillotine. Played for about 10 mins. Temps got up to 88C!

I then tried out Prime95. In two minues temps hit 90C.

So, today I removed the stock HSF and installed a hyper 212+ using AS5.

Idle temps hover around 22-30C

In Prime95, temps got up 71C after 20 minutes. Have yet to test in any games.

I want to note that the AMD 955BE I had installed before this CPU with the hyper 212+ never went beyond 53C in Prime95.

Any suggestions? I've though about reseating the HSF, perhaps lowering the voltage too. Though I really want to be able to overclock this chip.

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Oh yeah, of course. I guess that may confuse some folks. I just meant that the 140mm was the only extra fan I added. I has two 120mm instakes on the side as well as a 220mm and a 120mm exhaust fan.

Just played a match in BF3, temps hit 60C. This still seems high, given the HSF I have and my ambient temps currently.

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Well, I've applied this heatsink before. I did have to reset it once though. Due to not getting on the CPU just so. I didn't reapply any TIM, just resat it.

So, if my thermal are whacked out, I should RMA this chip. Is there any way to tell, really? I guess I could reseat the HSF with a fresh application of AS5 and see what happens. I just ran Shogun 2 and my temps are at 50C.

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Yes, it only hit those high temps with the stock cooler on. Also, I had trouble getting two of those pins to click into place, they kept popping out. So, I don't the contact was really that good. I do know that even with the stock HSF it shouldn't hit that high except for in Prime95...maybe.

I've not come close to those high temps with the Hyper 212+ on. However, in Prime95 with the Hyper 212+ after 20 minutes, it did hit 70C. That to me seems a little high. And as stated before after one match in BF3 it hit 60C.

I'm just trying to get a second, third or however many opinions I can get on this.

I'm just thinking if I should try to reseat the HSF and see if I can get better results?

Or do you think that I'm not like to really get any better temps? Also, should I even try to OC this chip any? This would be my first chip to OC, so I really know nothing about overclocking.

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
CPU-Z reports while running Prime95 Core speed: 4326.92MHz Multiplier x42.0, bus speed 103.02MHz

At idle Core speed is 1648.27MHz, multiplier x16, bus speed the same.

Just doing a two minute run in Prime95 just resulted in the package temp hitting 67C and my cores hitting 64C.

Looks like my mobo is auto OC'ing. Good catch, I wasn't thinking of it until you mentioned it.

Alright, how would one go about disabling auto OC? Also, with it running at 4.3 and those temps, is that okay considering. As I've said I know nothing of overclocking. Though I do want to try it out, the reason I bought this chip.

uhtred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Alright, so I made the changes in my BIOS and my CPU at load is 3.4. Ran Prime95 for an hour and the temp did not breach 54C. Glad that this issue is all sorted out now.

Thanks for the help k1114 and VetteDude.