corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm asking this question here cuz no one in any other area answers in a timely fashion.

I have this ACAD trial, its for 30 days. When i run it, it takes foreevr to load, and freezes everything in the mean time. When its finally loaded, its runs perfectly as far as i can tell. Now my freind had this(I think) on his old dell laptop and i don't remember this problem.

Now too me it seems like an HD problem as it never goes to full load on my cpu or RAM, and i have a great vid card, although it recommends a Quadro. Plus Whenever it loads a menu it hangs for a few seconds, or at least long enough that it feels too long...

Anyway, wondering if it is the HD? :?

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I know this is the wrong forum for this, but I use AutoCAD on a daily basis. There are a lot of variables that I do not fully understand. I do not know the specific system requirements for ver 2007, but I use 2006 and it taxex our computers at startup because of the drivers and settings that it must load before each drawing and at menu changes. I do not think that it is your hard drive. I loaded 2007 trial on my laptop (Turion 64 1.8Ghz 1GB RAM and 128MB AGP graphics , 5400rpm HDD) and it took about 15 sec to load at initial startup, which is not much slower than my work computer (3Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, 256PCIe video and SATA II HDD in Raid 0)
AutoCAD has become a little bloated in the past few years so it takes a higher end machine to run it quickly.

Based on your system specs. It should scream once it loads.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Based on your system specs. It should scream once it loads.

LOL, ya, with my system, my lines per minute have skyrocketd, up to about 26. 8)

But seriously, it takes more than 15 sec to load, more like a minute, and its totally unresponsive till it fully loads. Works fine until i just tried hatching a 3d object and it had to "analyze islands" and that seemed slow, had lines being scaned all over and stuff.

I am beginning to wonder if my HD is damaged though, because A while ago, the vid card died slowly over the course of a day, and finally the comp wouldn't start. At teh time i had a virus, and figured that was the problem, so i was reformatting and installing windows fresh(like 3 weeks after the first install) and while it was installing the comp crashed and was turned on till a few weeks later after i fixed it. Now i heard that if you disrupt a windows install it can damage your HD, could my HD be damaged, resulting in slow response not just in ACAD, but in all aspects of my pc use? :?

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Now i heard that if you disrupt a windows install it can damage your HD, could my HD be damaged, resulting in slow response not just in ACAD, but in all aspects of my pc use? :?

I have never heard that before, I stop installs all the time on my older computers with no problems. If you are worried about the HDD try downloading WD hard drive diagnostics from there web site "here" or other diagnostic tools.
Not sure of any other reputable tools for HDD other than the vendor programs. Maybe some others will.

TRENDING THREADS