Sign in with
Your question

Building a new core i7 system done, need GFX Card?

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 8:54:45 AM

Hello Guyz after so long am back to this great forum as I need the best advice building a new core i7 system.

TOTAL BUDGET <$1800

I ve assembled the following components and need help/suggestions for GFX Card:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: GSKILL Ripjaws Z series — 16GB (4GB x 4) Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (1600 MHZ)

Cabinet: full Tower: Coolermaster HAX X

PSU: Corsair TX750 V2.
Graphics Card: Need suggestion (Need <$300 Gfx card)
Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech k260 wireless keyboard and mouse pair
Monitor: I already have a dell 27" PVA monitor.
HDD: I already have WD Cavier Black 500 GB, and WD Cavier Green 1 TB.

Currently GFX Card installed is my old really old nvidia 6600GT (which is bottlenecking the whole system I guess).

GUYZ Please help me out with a suitable GFX card for this build. Cards I ve considered till now are:

Nvidia 670 Ti
Sapphire ATI Radeon 7870

My budget for GFX card is <$450. Please advice me any preferred brands like Asus, Zotac, XFX, MSI, HIS, etc. Thanks in advance.

I checked amazon.com and newegg and finding a lot of complaints of freezes and red screen of death with the 670 irrespective of brand. Is it really that big of a problem or is sorted out by driver/firmware update ?
February 15, 2012 11:03:45 AM

graphics card i think 570 is good for you but it is a little over $300 you can take a 560 ti : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or a 560 ti 448 cores edition:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...;

good video cards;

psu i would take the tx650 v2, great solution for 1 graphics card;

you will only need better cpu cooler if you wan't to overclock it.

keyboard and mouse is personal, some people just play with high dpi, other people don't care about mouse, i myself got a Combo Razer Cyclosa +Abyssus because i find a good price where i live...

EDIT:About the case i would go for HAF 932 too, i have a HAF mid tower and it is great, great for cable management and enough space for a great cooling solution, the full tower 932 is even better.
February 15, 2012 11:34:41 AM

Err, the only decent graphics card for that system is the 560 ti, but it's a shrimp compared to your CPU.

As far as coolers go, you need a new one if you overclock it a lot.
For keyboard and mouse, I have the microsoft sidewinder X4 with a old logitech mouse.
I'd get the HAF 932 out of those cases (Personal preference)
Related resources
February 15, 2012 11:41:28 AM

16GB of RAM is overkill in my opinion (unless you have a very specific reason).

You do need an aftermarket cooler. Keeping the stock cooler with a 600$ CPU is like wearing a tuxedo with slippers. As a rule of thumb, spend for the cooler as much as you spend on the CPU, divided by 4 or 5.

Also, since you do not seem to be on a tight budget, definitely get an SSD. Even a 64GB one will make a huge difference!!!!
February 15, 2012 11:45:27 AM

How can two people forget the sandy bridge extreme cpus don't ship with a cooler so yes you do need a cooler.

The questonwhats you budget for a cooler. Also can lower profile ram. That ram will cause issues with some coolers.
February 15, 2012 11:50:59 AM

cbrunnem said:
How can two people forget the sandy bridge extreme cpus don't ship with a cooler so yes you do need a cooler.

The questonwhats you budget for a cooler. Also can lower profile ram. That ram will cause issues with some coolers.

That's probably because a 600$ CPU is a dream for most people :D 

cbrunnem is correct. I have recently found out the hard way that high profile RAM modules are a PITA. Pick a low profile set if you aim to use all 4 slots.....
February 15, 2012 11:57:05 AM

Haha yeah it took me a second then i remembered it too.

Gskill ripjaws are low enough to not cause too much problems. So don't get anything taller then those or 44mm tall.
February 15, 2012 11:59:32 AM

first of all u should get g.skill ripjaws x 16gb ram. (if u even need 16gb) because corsair is alot taller than g.skill, and makes it get in the way of ur cooler. by the way 4 a cooler id get the noctua nh-d14, its the best on the market 4 its price. and ur psu... could be better get a corsair ax750w. and u could use a better mobo, i recommend the asrock x79 extreme7. i would spend a little more than 300$ if it meant getting a 570 (which u should get.) 4 ur tower definitley get the haf x has great features good-lookin case ect. if u want THE BEST mouse/keyboard, get a cybrog R.A.T. 7 mouse, and a logitech g19 keyboard (i know they're expensive but theyre the best.) also u didnt mention any hhd's or ssd's so i would recommend the western digital caviar black 1.5tb hhd and the intel 520 cherryville ssd (idk how much space u want on ur ssd.)
February 15, 2012 12:01:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The motherboard has 8 RAM Slots. So I would Just be filling 4 of them So for future proofing I thought I would go with 4gbX4 rather than 2gbX4 since its with Quad channel memory interface. Also thanks to cbrunnem I found out theres no cpu cooler included. So which one do you guyz recommend ( <$150).

@ricardois, cyansnow, Theres a price diff. of about $83 between HAF X and HAF 932, but the HAF X has front USB 3.0 Ports and Dust filters considering my place is a lot dusty. Wot would you guyz recommend ???

AND MY TOTAL BUDGET IS LIKE <$1800.
February 15, 2012 12:11:11 PM

ankydu said:
Thanks for all the replies. The motherboard has 8 RAM Slots. So I would Just be filling 4 of them So for future proofing I thought I would go with 4gbX4 rather than 2gbX4 since its with Quad channel memory interface. Also thanks to cbrunnem I found out theres no cpu cooler included. So which one do you guyz recommend ( <$150).

@ricardois, cyansnow, Theres a price diff. of about $83 between HAF X and HAF 932, but the HAF X has front USB 3.0 Ports and Dust filters considering my place is a lot dusty. Wot would you guyz recommend ???

AND MY TOTAL BUDGET IS LIKE <$1800.

The HAF X and HAF 932 are both about on par with each other in build quailty, but again it's what you need from your case to judge what you get. For you the HAF X seems better, and I can't say it enough - make SURE you get a case you like because it will last longer and you wont want to replace it.
February 15, 2012 12:11:55 PM

Hydro cooling definetely makes sense in your case which also solves the potential problem with the high profile RAM (you can fill all slots without the heatsink fan getting in the way).

I would recommend the Corsair Hydro Series H80 or the H100.
February 15, 2012 12:13:49 PM

1] Everytime I see a X79 and SB-e, a part of me dies inside. Essentially it gives you very little over a SB for 3-4 times the price. If I were you I would pick up a Z68 with a i7 2600K and put the other money towards a GTX 580 or AMD 7950/70.

2] 16GB is rather pointless, 8GB will suffice.

3] HAF is ugly but a case is user preference. the CM stormtrooper looks nice though with a good helping of USB3.0 and removable dust filter trays for easy cleaning withouth having to remove brezzles.

4] You need a cooler, water solutions are great for taking the heat away from the CPU and RAM area and venting the heat far away, but Noctua, Zalmans, Thermaltake have great higher end HS/F coolers and CM have good budget end coolers. If you are taking a case with a side window, carefully consider taking a hydro cooler or Zalmans/Thermaltake rather than the 3 fan coolers from Noctua, while it is great it is aethetically damaging, looks ugly, weighs a ton and has the worst possible color coding, if you have a closed case then by all means.
February 15, 2012 12:16:36 PM

Well buddy for such a great looking system your going to build ill throw in some suggestions.

Cabinet: Need full Tower: Current considerations: For such a high end build surely deserves a high end case, and theres no better and no more beautiful than the SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B-W Black Aluminum.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Current Consideration: Corsair HX650, TX650 V2. Have a look at the XFX units...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Graphics Card: Need suggestion (Need <$300 Gfx card)
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB

MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE/OC

Keyboard and Mouse: Need Suggestion Logitech G19 and Logitech G9x

Monitor: I already have a dell 27" PVA monitor. NICE !
February 15, 2012 12:34:54 PM

I'm curious, for the power in this machine, would getting faster ram make sense? I see quite a few people on here throw $2000 into a machine and they all end up with ddr3 1600 ram. Is the 1866 or 2133 not worth it? Too many issues?

As for the video card, if your putting that much into the system get a 570. Personally I'm with what sarinaide said. Get an I72600k and use some of that extra money on a 580. Paying that much more for the latest and greatest chip just doesn't make sense cost wise. If you have money to blow then get the chip and raise your budget. But again personally for a $1800 machine the 2600k matches perfectly. And as others have said, grab an SSD. Although they suggested 64gig, I recommend double that. Again just a personal preference but I like to keep it half empty. I bought a 64gig for this build then upgraded about 2 months later to a 160 gig.
February 15, 2012 3:20:21 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
February 16, 2012 7:15:44 AM

ricardois said:
there are locked water cooler pumps, they are safe and don't require maintenance:

EDIT:link fixed

the intel water cooler was made specially for those extreme intel cpu edition;

Are there air coolers as well from intel for the new 2011 socket?
February 16, 2012 7:54:49 AM

Honestly I would switch out your CPU for an i7-2500k or 2600k. It's cheaper and most games (since I assume this will be one of the main purposes of your PC from the set-up) don't utilize all 6 cores let alone the 4 found in the 2500k. The differences are minimal. 3.3 Ghz is more than enough for anything and most of the work is done by the GPU for gaming anyway.

Yeah the advantage is that you have you have 8 memory slots with the 3930 but usually you won't need more than 16gb of RAM even for a SLI / crossfire set-up for which 4 slots will suffice.

Regarding Liquid Coolers, I'm also a bit uneasy around liquid coolers and chose a zalman cnps11x extreme air cooler for my build. It's working out great for me. If you choose it, check first if it is compatible for your build.
February 16, 2012 9:09:50 AM

ankydu said:
Are there air coolers as well from intel for the new 2011 socket?

This is as fresh as it gets...

Big Air: 14 LGA 2011-Compatible Coolers For Core i7-3000, Reviewed

ankydu said:
..... I wont be doing any overclocking.

Go with the normal i7-2500 or 2600 (not a K model). I believe the -K chip means the multiplier is unlocked for overclocking. This comes with a premium that you don't want to pay for.
February 20, 2012 2:18:18 PM

If I have to go with 3930k is the Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard alrite considering my budget of <$1800.
April 8, 2012 1:56:19 PM

THanks for all the suggestions guyz, I ve assembled the following config:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: GSKILL Ripjaws Z series 4X4GB (1600 MHZ)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cabinet: CM HAF X
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
GFX Card: Still Need suggestion (Confused between NVIDIA and ATI)
Currently installed my old really old nvidia 6600GT (which is bottlenecking the whole system I guess).

GUYZ Please help me out with a suitable GFX card for this build. Cards I ve seen till now are:
Nvidia 560 Ti
ATI Radeon 6850
ATI Radeon 6870
ATI Radeon 6950

My budget for GFX card is <$300. Please advice me how much GFX memory I need and any preferred brands like Asus, Zotac, XFX, MSI, HIS, etc.
April 8, 2012 3:54:43 PM

ATI Radeon 6950, i prefer the Asus Direct CU II cards.
April 9, 2012 3:59:58 PM

Uther39 said:
ATI Radeon 6950, i prefer the Asus Direct CU II cards.

Can you suggest a model under <$300.
July 8, 2012 2:02:00 PM

Thread updated, please see the first post and reply. Urgently need a gfx card.
!