Asus ENGTX580 Chronic Failure

pandamonium

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I purchased a ENGTX580 card for my new build on the 31st of august, and after a week or two the display port failed and I was forced to use HDMI instead. Then, two weeks later, the card completely failed. When it worked, it worked wonderfully, although I never OC'd it or even put it under a heavy load. I RMA'd the card, and when it was returned the Display port worked again for two or three days, failed, then card was unable to be recognized after that (on any PCI-E slot). I RMA'd it again, received the card back two days ago with a non-functional Display Port, and now the card does not function at all. I suspect the card is faulty (it is the same graphics card, just "repaired") since it did perform slightly better after being returned from ASUS, but I am wondering if something else could be causing the problem. Sorry about the wall of text, and if it helps I have a HX1050 PSU and an ASROCK Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 MoBo, and all drivers are up to date.

pandamonium

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

It was the same card, just repaired. But no, it is not the display, since the onboard graphics works with the same chords, but it doesn't even recognize the card.

pandamonium

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I did not try that when the card was functional, and now since I cannot get the card to be recognized by the computer, it is too late for that. The only other interesting piece of information I can think of is that the card does have power and the fans operate. If/when I RMA the card again, I will run that test as soon as I receive it back.

Is there anything else that it could be?

pandamonium

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
If there isn't anything, then I will just hound ASUS to replace the GPU, and not repair it. I feel better that I didn't miss anything obvious, but at the same time I am bummed that it isn't easily fixed.

Have you had any problems with other cards that made use of the display port? How old and how long have you had this monitor of yours? Beyond that Fermi era cards are well known for their flaws and general defects. Some die slowly others burst into flames.

Card3.jpg

FlashG

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

I had exactly the same problem with my new ENGTX580 Platinum. Worked great for 2 -3 days in my z68 EVGA FTW mobo.... now the system won't even recognise the card!! It won't boot when I have the card inseted in the first PCIE slot (BIOS seems to go through regular post codes, but then gives 5 short beeps and hangs. Firve short beeps are supposed to be 'cpu error'. When I put the ASUS in a secondary slot in SLI with another 580 card I have, the system boots but won't recognise the ASUS card in slot 3. It has fan power and lights, but no go on the show...

I also have a brand new ASUS Maximus Extreme IV - z that I used for this build before the EVGA FTW. The ASUS never booted past BIOS code 00.

I got both from E-Bay... hope I can get RMA numbers from my E-Bay sellers!!

FlashG