Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade using existing components

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 3:24:30 PM

I have a Q9550 C2Q, PL5QP PRO mb, Mushkin DDR2 800, and a EN9800GT 512mb x16. I'm having issues booting starting last night (no post, in fact no beeps) but that is a separate thing altogether. i think the issue is going to be the mother board (must have hosed the bios when attempting a cmos clear, forgot the jumper and left it plugged in). looks like a new ATX mb will be $65 (including shipping).

$65 seems like a waste of money, especially when my processor is at the high end of the socket, i think the Q9650 is the only thing above it (so any future upgrade will require new mb anyways)? i am just curious what my options were for upgrading the mb and cpu, with hopefully keeping the memory (not a requirement, but would be great) and gfx card.

i would rather spend the money with a mb that is more or less future proof for the next few years. i am not sure where the q9550 rates with the new i series chips, but would like the replacement to be just as good (i don't want to take a step down). it would be great to keep the memory and gfx card to limp in with hopefully upgrading in the future.

or if you think the Q9550 processor is quality processor and the $65 mb will keep me in a rig that will still perform for the new few years. i don't need games to run at ultra, medium is fine as long as it doesn't stutter.

Since i've been away for a bit and don't have too much time to figure what to go with (need to get something running soon), i was hoping for some help.

thanks for your time and help.
February 15, 2012 3:35:33 PM

Quote:
or if you think the Q9550 processor is quality processor and the $65 mb will keep me in a rig that will still perform for the new few years. i don't need games to run at ultra, medium is fine as long as it doesn't stutter.

Look at it this way - if you upgrade your GPU, your CPU and RAM will become a bottleneck. If you upgrade your CPU and RAM, your GPU will be a bottleneck. It's pretty much one or the other. If you can reuse your case, HD, optical, OS, monitor, etc. that will be helpful - all you'll really need to do is upgrade your CPU, RAM, motherboard, and GPU. It's essentially a new computer but you can reuse as many of your existing components as you want.
m
l
February 15, 2012 3:59:51 PM

i would have no issues with the gpu or memory being the bottleneck for the time being. i'm not quite sure i can get my wife on board with upgrading too much. so if i could say buying a new mb and cpu costs $130 more, and i'll be able to keep the mb for a lot longer she might be ok with that.
m
l
!