Sign in with
Your question

Pc built: pics and basic write up - rate pls

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 3:47:50 PM

Hi guys so with help from many members here including raiddin, metal orient and others I decided on a build.

total cost of tower £790 inc VAT

Went fairly smoothly no hiccups or problems as such. Main issue was that ram cpu and hdd came in a badly damaged box so had to test parts first. It was very sarisfying to hear the post beep :D  :bounce: 

after this the next issue arose from the 200mm coolermaster megaflow fan. the screw holes werent pre-threaded as such they had to be threaded with provided screws. This was a particularly worrying moment expecially when the plastic expands and creaks/groans. however no cracks or damage it went in very nicely.

the only other problem I had was once it was built and win 7 installed I couldnt understand why internet wouldnt work. My head must been fried from all the concentrating as it was simply that i hadnt installed motherboard drivers from provided disc :sleep:  :o 

So in order here are the pics starting with parts

In box

out of box

test build
-struggled for 5 minutes to find which pins to short to get the rig to boot got there in the end

construction
- lots of plus points to the parts. all very easy to assemble with easy manuals. great space in the case with great cable storage behing mobo. nice cable tidy at bottom case as well. also toolless drive bays! one down side was that al though there are plenty of mounting points for mobo in case i could only fit 6 of 7 from mobo as last one didnt have a mounting points below it.

built and in situ

low level light to show fans (poor quality sorry)

Final point is never think of an extra £10 to much for something. Next time I will defintaely get a modular psu. Altough I got it fairly tidy cable wise I believe less is better and easier :D 
February 15, 2012 4:03:29 PM

Everything looks fine except that if I were you I would consider routing all the excess cables up between the motherboard and the hard drive rack and let them just hang off in the wasted DVD drive space.

You have room for 3 or 4 DVD drives and you are only using 1. Very little airflow ever comes through this space, so it doesn't obstruct anything up there.
February 15, 2012 4:10:37 PM

Looks pretty sharp! If you're worried about the memory being damaged, download and run a program called MemTest, and let it run for a few hours. This will let you know quickly if your memory is flawed in a way that's not immediately evident.

Also kind of hate you for having the HAF 912 Plus available in your country :-P
Related resources
February 15, 2012 4:30:17 PM

looks like a decent build post ur pls post ur parts
February 15, 2012 6:31:26 PM

cheers guys for comments Im pleased with it feels good when it all goes right first time

raiddin thanks for all your help :D  willl def put cables in dvd bays asap

quick question what antiviruall purpos program do you gys use or recomend??

xterme here you go

Item: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Qty: 1 Cost: £71.16

Item: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Qty: 1 Cost: £144.17

Item: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition PSU - Single Rail 9x SATA 4x PCI-E
Qty: 1 Cost: £55.83

Item: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case
Qty: 1 Cost: £53.79

Item: Coolermaster MegaFlow 200mm Transprent Red LED Silent Fan
Qty: 1 Cost: £10.02

Item: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Qty: 1 Cost: £24.99

Item: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English
Qty: 1 Cost: £65.32

Item: WD 750GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Qty: 1 Cost: £70.83

Item: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Qty: 1 Cost: £10.82

Item: Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Qty: 1 Cost: £140.45
-----------------------------------------------------------
Shipping method: Next Working Day at £13.09
Sub Total: 660.47
VAT Total: 132.13
Total: £792.60
February 16, 2012 12:51:48 PM

Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Panda Cloud is good too I heard.

- Edit - I do agree that it is very nice to be able to buy a whole new computer in parts and to assemble it and have it work right out of the box. A lot of it comes from choosing high quality parts, which I did try to help guide you towards.

Would you rather have saved 50 GBP and possibly been ripping your hair out for a few weeks?

I know what I would choose.

Most of the time when people come in here saying they have problems they need us to fix, the parts list doesn't look anywhere near as nice as that one. It is when you cut corners that you start having problems, usually.

GL with the PC.
!