Sign in with
Your question

Building a new rig using ''old'' components

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 3:58:10 PM

So here goes,

i have recently bought a full desktop (brand Medion) at a local mediastore (heat of the moment)

now i'm looking to build a new gaming rig using some of the components from my current pc.

current pc specs:

-some stock Msi motherboard
-intel i7 2600 cpu +stock cooler
-8gig ram (sticks say Samsung)
-HD 6670 graphics card
-Seagate 2TB HDD
-Microsoft windows 7 64-bit
-and a stock 450W powersupply

im looking to Use the cpu (intel i7 2600) the 2TB HDD and the win7 64bit OS

recently purchased components for my new rig are:

-Coolermaster HAF X case
-Asus Sabretooth P67 motherboard
-Corsair 16gb Vengeance 1600Mhz
-Corsair H100 watercooling
-Corsair 1050HX powersupply

Components needing purchase in the near future

-Graphics card (looking at a Asus/EVGA GTX570) i have a thread open asking about wich card i should get
-Corsair GT 120gb SSD

now my question about all of the above is:

is it possible to use my cpu,hdd and keep my win7 64bit?

how do i start?

say i succesfully install the cpu, and the hdd... do i just fire up the computer?

local pc shop told me i can still use my version of win7 but i need to regristrate it again or call microsoft... they are not very clear in their e-mails...

i have all components installed in the HAF X

then i need to dissasemble my ''old'' computer, get out the cpu and the hdd, install it in my ''new'' rig , plug it in and fire it up

what will happen then? will the screen just boot up?

February 15, 2012 4:28:56 PM

hi the $100 extra for 2600k is not worth it

no you will have to re install windows. your windows has drivers for your current motherboard, when you will use the new mobo windows 7 will get errors because of different drivers needed

you have installed the cpu and the hd, you will need to boot from windows cd and reinstall
February 15, 2012 4:53:59 PM

alvine said:
hi the $100 extra for 2600k is not worth it

no you will have to re install windows. your windows has drivers for your current motherboard, when you will use the new mobo windows 7 will get errors because of different drivers needed

you have installed the cpu and the hd, you will need to boot from windows cd and reinstall

thanks!

the other thing is, the pc i bought didnt come with a cd of win7

i have to make my own i guess? how do i do this?
Related resources
February 15, 2012 4:59:54 PM

Hm, ok i found the Recovery Disc that came with the pc.

So if i take out the cpu and the hdd from my 'old' computer, install them in the new rig,
whats the next step?
turn it on,...
then insert the disc and reinstall win7?

February 15, 2012 5:06:02 PM

Yeah what I did was boot it up, re-register, then re-install.
February 15, 2012 6:42:17 PM

Only options on an i5 or i7 for a chipset are the h61, h67, p67, and z68. They are very similar so a windows install should migrate between the two boards with no issues. You might get a few flashes as it installes new hardware but thats about it.

If your old board was an AMD based board or an Nvidia based 750i then i would expect an instant blue screen with the new intel board requiring a new installation of windows.

As far as your build goes it should all work fine. The PSU you chose is super over kill. The i7 and board only draws like 150 watts and your video card the HD 6670 only draws like 60 watts. You have a 1000 watt power supply powering a 210-250 watt computer.

Assemble computer install new CPU and cooler, install GPU and PSU. Plug in HD and turn on PC. If you built the computer correctly it should try to start windows off your HD. If the board is too differnt from the old board it will blue screen, or just get stuck in a startup loop. (I think windows will start no issue and you will be good to go.) If windows does blue screen or get stuck, you will need to run your recover disc for windows only. If it is a disc image with the drivers for the old board you will end up in the blue screen area again.
February 15, 2012 10:08:15 PM

bucknutty said:
Only options on an i5 or i7 for a chipset are the h61, h67, p67, and z68. They are very similar so a windows install should migrate between the two boards with no issues. You might get a few flashes as it installes new hardware but thats about it.

If your old board was an AMD based board or an Nvidia based 750i then i would expect an instant blue screen with the new intel board requiring a new installation of windows.

As far as your build goes it should all work fine. The PSU you chose is super over kill. The i7 and board only draws like 150 watts and your video card the HD 6670 only draws like 60 watts. You have a 1000 watt power supply powering a 210-250 watt computer.

Assemble computer install new CPU and cooler, install GPU and PSU. Plug in HD and turn on PC. If you built the computer correctly it should try to start windows off your HD. If the board is too differnt from the old board it will blue screen, or just get stuck in a startup loop. (I think windows will start no issue and you will be good to go.) If windows does blue screen or get stuck, you will need to run your recover disc for windows only. If it is a disc image with the drivers for the old board you will end up in the blue screen area again.

i deinstalled the cpu,hdd and graphicscard from my old pc and installed all in the new rig.
installed the Corsair H100 and fired it up.

i inserted the recovery disc and windows 7 booted up without a prob.

installed all the drivers and utilities from the Asus cd

and now all works just fine :) 

now all i need is a new graphics card (some gtx 570) and a SSD

and i know the 1050watts is overkill, but i just wanted a psu ready for the future :)  i have the money, so why not :) 

thnx for the help on this guys, much appriciated!
February 15, 2012 10:36:39 PM

2516752,1,1125517 said:
So here goes,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4

8150 @ stock
Metro- min-27 max-60 avg-43
BFBC2- min-45 max-94 avg-65
Crysis2- min-42 max-91 avg-58
Lost Planet2- avg-33
Dirt3- min-75 avg-99
Cinebench- 5.84

i5 2500K @ stock
Metro- min-27 max-59 avg-43
BFBC2- min-44 max-97 avg-65
Crysis2-min-36 max-88 avg-62
LostPlanet2- avg-34
Dirt3- min-79 avg-105
Cinebench- 5.12

Looks like BD fx - 8150 and i5 2500k are pretty similar in terms of gaming performance add in the additional average cost of an Intel platform and slightly higher cost of the 8150 chip and looks like AMD and Intel offer up pretty even results on average as far as gaming as I have outlined and double certified above with link provided.
!