Closed Solved

Dual Monitors

Hello,
I'm researching building my 1st PC - non gaming, .net/Office/SqServer apps. developer. Win 7, 64 bit. I want to run 2 monitors. Is this a mobo function or a video/graphics card issue? This will be an i5-2400 cpu system. Currently considering an Asus P8H67-M LE B3 Intel H67 1155 Motherboard. Not sure if this is the correct forum...
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual monitors
  1. I would not recommend just 2. Do you want your center of focus to be a bezel?
  2. AMD cards support from 1 to 6 displays
    most cards will display up to 3 screens (google eyefinity)
    The ability to run multiple displays is done in the graphics card, not the motherboard.
  3. Best answer
    To run multiple displays, you need multiple display connectors. Your motherboard appears to have 3 display connectors built in: VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I would recommend displays with DVI and/or HDMI connectors. You can use inexpensive adapters to convert between these two port types so that you have two identical ports for use with two identical monitors.

VGA is a much older standard that is rapidly being relegated to history. It is an analog signal and while capable of generating a pretty good display, the newer digital standards beat it hands-down. If you need additional connectors for more monitors, I'd recommend getting a low-to-mid-range graphics card with the requisite number of connectors.

Alvine has it wrong. Multiple displays are driven by the graphics hardware which may very well be located on a discrete graphics card but your motherboard features built-in graphics hardware which is more than capable for browsing, productivity apps, and watching video.
  4. Thanks for the responses and explanations. It sounds like the motherboard (or an equivalent) I'm considering will handle my requirements.
  5. Best answer selected by lmike51b.
  6. sewalk said:
    To run multiple displays, you need multiple display connectors. Your motherboard appears to have 3 display connectors built in: VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I would recommend displays with DVI and/or HDMI connectors. You can use inexpensive adapters to convert between these two port types so that you have two identical ports for use with two identical monitors.

VGA is a much older standard that is rapidly being relegated to history. It is an analog signal and while capable of generating a pretty good display, the newer digital standards beat it hands-down. If you need additional connectors for more monitors, I'd recommend getting a low-to-mid-range graphics card with the requisite number of connectors.

Alvine has it wrong. Multiple displays are driven by the graphics hardware which may very well be located on a discrete graphics card but your motherboard features built-in graphics hardware which is more than capable for browsing, productivity apps, and watching video.

I know this is a pretty basic question for most on these forums. I'm a newbie (maybe wannabe) builder just wanting to avoid spending money on incompatible parts and/or hardware that will not support what I want it to do. :)
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Dual Monitors Systems