Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual Monitors

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 4:16:38 PM

Hello,
I'm researching building my 1st PC - non gaming, .net/Office/SqServer apps. developer. Win 7, 64 bit. I want to run 2 monitors. Is this a mobo function or a video/graphics card issue? This will be an i5-2400 cpu system. Currently considering an Asus P8H67-M LE B3 Intel H67 1155 Motherboard. Not sure if this is the correct forum...

More about : dual monitors

February 15, 2012 4:17:45 PM

I would not recommend just 2. Do you want your center of focus to be a bezel?
Score
February 15, 2012 4:24:47 PM

AMD cards support from 1 to 6 displays
most cards will display up to 3 screens (google eyefinity)
The ability to run multiple displays is done in the graphics card, not the motherboard.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 15, 2012 4:33:16 PM

To run multiple displays, you need multiple display connectors. Your motherboard appears to have 3 display connectors built in: VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I would recommend displays with DVI and/or HDMI connectors. You can use inexpensive adapters to convert between these two port types so that you have two identical ports for use with two identical monitors.

VGA is a much older standard that is rapidly being relegated to history. It is an analog signal and while capable of generating a pretty good display, the newer digital standards beat it hands-down. If you need additional connectors for more monitors, I'd recommend getting a low-to-mid-range graphics card with the requisite number of connectors.

Alvine has it wrong. Multiple displays are driven by the graphics hardware which may very well be located on a discrete graphics card but your motherboard features built-in graphics hardware which is more than capable for browsing, productivity apps, and watching video.
February 15, 2012 4:49:45 PM

Thanks for the responses and explanations. It sounds like the motherboard (or an equivalent) I'm considering will handle my requirements.
Score
February 15, 2012 4:50:45 PM

Best answer selected by lmike51b.
Score
February 15, 2012 5:07:29 PM

sewalk said:
To run multiple displays, you need multiple display connectors. Your motherboard appears to have 3 display connectors built in: VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I would recommend displays with DVI and/or HDMI connectors. You can use inexpensive adapters to convert between these two port types so that you have two identical ports for use with two identical monitors.

VGA is a much older standard that is rapidly being relegated to history. It is an analog signal and while capable of generating a pretty good display, the newer digital standards beat it hands-down. If you need additional connectors for more monitors, I'd recommend getting a low-to-mid-range graphics card with the requisite number of connectors.

Alvine has it wrong. Multiple displays are driven by the graphics hardware which may very well be located on a discrete graphics card but your motherboard features built-in graphics hardware which is more than capable for browsing, productivity apps, and watching video.

I know this is a pretty basic question for most on these forums. I'm a newbie (maybe wannabe) builder just wanting to avoid spending money on incompatible parts and/or hardware that will not support what I want it to do. :) 
Score
February 15, 2012 10:32:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!