HD5770 Card Upgrade

Hey guys, I have an older PC, and for playing Starcraft 2 and the latest WoW expansion it works fine with no slow down at all. But I just got Star Wars: The Old Republic and it is very slow for me. I checked and I pass everything except for the graphics card....so i'm gonna have to upgrade there. Did some browsing and it looks like HD5770 is a good option for me. These are the current specs on my computer:

-AMD Phenom X4 9150e Quad-Core processor
-4GB System Memory
-500GB Harddrive
-GeForce 8400GS 512MB graphics card

But the issue I have seen is that the HD5770 is a PCI Express 2.1 card and my CPU has a 1.0 slot....I know 2.0 works fine with 1.0 slots, but have seen 2.1 can have problems with 1.0 slots. So should I look in a different direction towards another card, or would this one work? This card would be a huge upgrade over the one I currently have and should hopefully help the game run smoother. Thanks in advance!
10 answers Last reply
More about hd5770 card upgrade
  1. 5770/6770 is a good enrey level card and I have read that it plays SWTOR real decent but your CPU is a real slug and I cant say jack about the pci - e 1.0 because I have never used or seen one how old is your mobo ?
  2. I probably bought the PC in 2008. I can't afford an entirely new PC though, and I meet all of the requirements but the graphics card, thats whats really hurting me running the game. But my main concern is the PCI-e 2.1 slot being able to run on this. If so, this card seems like a good option for me
  3. Can you tell us more about your system? What motherboard you have, and what psu you are using?
  4. As long as your Motherboard can run a Phenom it can run an athlon2 x4 you could do a worthwhile upgrade 6770 and a Athlon2 x4 630 or 640.
    Total upgrade after rebates would be just over 200 dollars and this will completely change the way your PC performs. I don't usually offer advice that is not requested but really it would be like a completely new system for 200.
  5. Spentshells....this sounds amazing and I greatly appreciate the advice. Plus its also in my price range of what I can upgrade to. I obviously don't know much about the hardware side, so just wanted to make sure I have the items right. I found these 2 links on newegg, and just like you said total after rebates is a little over 200 dollars:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD6770&x=19&y=23

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

Would these be the two upgrades you are refering to? Thanks a ton
  6. Indeed it is but you may need a PSU upgrade but perhaps not.
  7. Yeah I only have a 300watt powersupply....says I need a 450w or better. I pulled up 450watt PSUs on Newegg and they seem to range from $23-60. Should I stay away from the cheaper end, or are they all going to be virtually equal? Thanks again guys
  8. This will do just fine even short of 450 watts as it is high quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

25 after MIR and this will in no way be a bad choice since the recommendation of 450 includes some really poor brands.
  9. spentshells said:
    This will do just fine even short of 450 watts as it is high quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

25 after MIR and this will in no way be a bad choice since the recommendation of 450 includes some really poor brands.

+1 to that, the CX430 is one of the highest quality PSU's with that wattage, have recommended it several times to some of my buddies/ people who want me to make stuff for them. The Radeon 5770 is one of the best bang-for-the-buck cards on the market today; I got one for my cousin for Christmas and I put a few in some older rigs, they are definitely the best out there looking for an upgrade for gaming that doesn't break the bank. It will also run on a CX430 I would come to believe.
  10. Spentshells, Thank you so much for all of your input and assistance. Ordered all 3 of the items and looking forward to the new PC. You have been such a huge help and it is greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone else as well
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Graphics Product