Add separator to All Programs menu?

September 25, 2004 9:48:32 PM

I posted this elsewhere, but this topic shoul be here.
Can someone tell me how to add a separator bar to the All
Programs menu?
September 26, 2004 7:04:34 AM

Where?

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Dan Aja" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this elsewhere, but this topic shoul be here.
> Can someone tell me how to add a separator bar to the All
> Programs menu?
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 8:09:29 AM

I want to add a second separator to separate my program
folders from the individual programs in thr menu.

September 26, 2004 9:47:55 AM

Dan Aja wrote:
> I posted this elsewhere, but this topic shoul be here.
> Can someone tell me how to add a separator bar to the All
> Programs menu?

It's difficult to add a separator bar to a menu, since this option is
intended for Toolbars.

The way I have found is to simply create a blank text file and save it with
any short name to any default folder. Create a shortcut to this file and
place it on the All Programs menu.

Right click the shortcut and select Rername. Rername the shortcut to
"________" by holding down the Shift key and using the "-" key. Next, right
click the shortcut again and select the Change Icon button. Assign an icon
that you like (I use the green arrow icon). Drag and drop the new separator
to position it where you wish. Customize to suit your taste.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Way kewl, Ron. :o ) Never thought of that one!

--

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Dan Aja wrote:
>> I posted this elsewhere, but this topic shoul be here.
>> Can someone tell me how to add a separator bar to the All
>> Programs menu?
>
> It's difficult to add a separator bar to a menu, since this option is
> intended for Toolbars.
>
> The way I have found is to simply create a blank text file and save it
> with any short name to any default folder. Create a shortcut to this file
> and place it on the All Programs menu.
>
> Right click the shortcut and select Rername. Rername the shortcut to
> "________" by holding down the Shift key and using the "-" key. Next,
> right click the shortcut again and select the Change Icon button. Assign
> an icon that you like (I use the green arrow icon). Drag and drop the new
> separator to position it where you wish. Customize to suit your taste.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:10:28 PM

Kelly wrote:
> Way kewl, Ron. :o ) Never thought of that one!

Right after IE4x was released we used this trick to separate different
sections in the Favorites list. Works well. :)
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Ah, that explains it. I slept through that version. <w>

--

> Kelly wrote:
>> Way kewl, Ron. :o ) Never thought of that one!
>
> Right after IE4x was released we used this trick to separate different
> sections in the Favorites list. Works well. :)
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 5, 2010 2:09:45 PM

Howdy guys, thanks for the info... I made a shortcut with the text property "____________" and changed the icon to a transparent icon, works perfect.... thanks

I uploaded the transparent icon here if any one wants it:
!