Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dirt Cheap Gaming Mobo

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 15, 2012 7:15:53 PM

Hi guys,

I have been asked by my brother to build him a computer that he can use for light gaming and work. However he has a really tight budget and only has £300. This must include screen and OS, but he does not need a hard drive. I know it is very difficult, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

More about : dirt cheap gaming mobo

February 15, 2012 7:18:59 PM

gerald746 said:
Hi guys,

I have been asked by my brother to build him a computer that he can use for light gaming and work. However he has a really tight budget and only has £300. This must include screen and OS, but he does not need a hard drive. I know it is very difficult, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks


How low end a cpu and gpu? So about $450 USD? You can get a 20" monitor in the states for less than $100 on sale which would leave $350 for everything else. Windows 7 64 bit is $99 leaving $250 for a case, psu, ram, video...you have a kb and mouse?

What is the hdd? Size, speed, sata or ide?
February 15, 2012 7:30:21 PM

We have 2 or so 2.5 inch hard drives and probably some 3.5 somewhere, but I don't know what the speeds are. They are all SATA as well
Related resources
February 15, 2012 7:51:42 PM

Can you verify the assumptions I made and confirm (or not) the costs? We can back into this but the amount of money is going to make it really tough. Would you consider used or refurb?
February 15, 2012 7:52:30 PM

You need to give us a vendor URL link or something to even attempt at finding something for that amount of money. I've seen some prices in GB which are outrageous by American prices and your VAT is another price object Americans don't have,,,,yet.
February 16, 2012 6:59:08 AM

QuietPC said:
Can you verify the assumptions I made and confirm (or not) the costs? We can back into this but the amount of money is going to make it really tough. Would you consider used or refurb?



I would definately consider refurb as an option to keep the price down. Also we have some old xp licences lying around so I could use student saver website to upgrade from them to windows 7 for around £30.
February 16, 2012 7:00:39 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
You need to give us a vendor URL link or something to even attempt at finding something for that amount of money. I've seen some prices in GB which are outrageous by American prices and your VAT is another price object Americans don't have,,,,yet.


Know some prices can be really expensive, but I can easily shop around using price comparison websites to find ones which can generally be £10/20 cheaper than the RRP.
February 16, 2012 7:01:58 AM

Also I could easily buy from amazon.com and get it shipped over. Then I can pay American prices
February 16, 2012 8:01:55 AM

Cheap gaming is an oxymoron.....
February 16, 2012 8:57:45 AM

Would if be worth getting him to spend a bit more money
!