Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade graphics card? .. info inside thread

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2011 12:48:45 PM

Im new to upgrading and want to sort out a more powerful graphic solution for playing Star Wars - The Old Republic.

I currently use NVIDIA GT 220 in a Medion PC MT7.
I'd like to upgrade my graphics to a RADEON HD 6950 2GB.

My system is as follows...

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
System Model MS-7366
PSU 350W <<< this I know I have to change to 500W+

The nvidia card is plugged into a 'PCI-E x16 slot' (info from MS-7366 manual).

Can I simply pull that out and plug in a Radeon 9650??
and is my Processor acceptable??

Any advice will be great, thanks.

:) 

Marc

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:25:20 PM

Basically you could do that indeed, however, as you mentioned you HAVE to make sure your PSU is good enough.

Furthermore you also have to ensure that you have enough physical space in your case, the 6950 is a HUGE card, so take some measurements making sure that it fits.

As for your CPU, it's ok, defenitely not the best out there, but should be good enough. Might want to consider a step down in graphics card with that CPU though, a 6850 should be more than plenty powerful, and more likely to physically fit.

December 17, 2011 1:51:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up! most appreciated. 1st attempt at any kind of upgrading, learnt loads online, beginning to strain my head with it all. Think i've just got myself a new hobby. :) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 1:54:53 PM

Hahaha, well i'll tell you that's how I started. At first it's a bit of a hassle but after a while it becomes real easy.

You'll start with small upgrades like a video card or a hard drive, and you'll eventually just build your machine! :) 

Have fun and if you have any questions feel free to ask!
December 17, 2011 3:08:33 PM

Good call on the TAKE MEASUREMENTS..

I was severley cramped, 2 sata plugs were in the way but thankfully they were surplus to requirements anyway.. a built on external HDD hub thing and memory card readers that I never use anyway. Unplugged them and everything seems to be ok for space. My motherboard obviously wasnt expecting any monster graphics cards.

next step.. MOTHERBOARD! lol.. id better up my overdraft limit. next year perhaps.

Not a bad spec pc, but just can't deal with SWTOR too well. WOW was quite reasonable on it, had settings quite high.

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 5:26:15 PM

Memory card reader that uses sata connection... interesting, never seen that before. Might want to double check that.

Furthermore, are you sure that you physically have enough space to accomodate the length of the graphics card? (no pun intended)

What did you mean with up your overdraft limit?

It IS a pretty reasonable PC, just a bit outdated, but then so is my CPU and I still game the crap out of it.
December 18, 2011 5:22:45 PM

ah, forget the overdraft limit thing, i was just on about how a new interest in upgrading's going to cost me.
in my PC i have a small unit at the front with adapters on it for memory cards and similar. i never use it, but it's connected via a sata cable on the motherboard, there's a diagram of a few of the sockets on it, eSATA, MS/SD/MMC, CF, SM/XD. Ive never used any of them so I doubt I will start to.

The space I have should just about be ok, ive measured up and with the 2 sata cables unplugged the space available appears to have been sorted. I still have my CD and HDD hooked up so it's all cool.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 5:43:01 PM

You need to make sure you have 2 PCI Express Auxiliary power cables and enough room in your case to plug them into the graphics card.
December 18, 2011 6:40:03 PM

Ive ordered a new PSU, the XFX pro 550w 80+
As it is a recommended PSU for the card I assume all power cables are sorted.
Thanks to those that have replied :)  your comments have been very useful
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 8:06:58 PM

Everything will be fine with that PSU. What graphics card are you going for?
December 18, 2011 11:00:51 PM

ive opted for the MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
!