GTX 560 ti SLI

doomiz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Just got a couple of Msi's gtx 560 ti twin frozr crap and the bottom card i think is simply Roasting the top card ( they got like half a centimeter space between them.wtf were they thinkin!)

1rst test on unigine benchmark : Temp on top card = ~80C
: Temp on bottom = ~65
Same temps on games with everything full also.

Then i saw on my control panel some 64x csaa and some other fancy crap that i turned on and played some bf3 again.
After like half an hour i altabed to check temps and i get shocked by a 101C Temp on the top card with the bottom one following @ ~75

after switching back to the defaults on nvcp temps was back to ~80 for top card.
Fact is i do need a beter airflow on my tower and i do know that cause im simply incapable to understand how the hell to put my fans ( considering outake and intake of air )

Now i got some questions considering all this :

1) - Is that fancy 64x csaa and 32xq really pushing +20 degrees on my vga's???
2) - Are pci coolers any good? will they benefit me ?(I even stuck a cooler on the side of my tower to blow directly onto the vga's and all temps above are with that thing blowing as more air as possible on them)
3) - Will the cards be with me next year if i leave them like that or i will just have to add some bacon on them and use them as a stove after?

PS: The only free pci-e slot on my mobo is a 4x :(

What were they thinking ? Did the GFX cards folks pick ya MoBo ?

MoBo selection is an important part of system building. If ya going to SLI / CF, it's wise to select a MoBo that gives ya at least two slots between the two PCI-E slots ... sounds like you only have one.

- GFX Card - Plugs into PCI-E1
-Empty Slot (Blocked by Above)
-Empty Slot
-GFX Card - Plugs into PCI-E2

Some of the reasons I like the WS Revolution for example are :

1) It has an NF200 chip making the PCI-E slots x16 x16 instead of x8 x8 *
2) It has 3 slots between the two PCI- slots

- GFX Card - Plugs into PCI-E1
-Empty Slot
-Empty Slot

-GFX Card - Plugs into PCI-E2

* Not a "game changer" on most titles but some show as much as a 10% performance increase.

Of course you want to pick a card that blows air outside the case, not inside. I have built a dozen SLI rigs w/ twin factory OC'd dual fan 560 Ti's. Most of late have been with the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 which has two slots (one blocked by the top card) between the two PCI-E slots. I have taken every one of them over 1000 MHz (22% OC) and they running 82C on top, 80 C on bottom. Most of them have been in the Antec 1200V3 or DF-85. All had the case window fan blowing between the cards. Half had an auxiliary fan on the back of the HD cage blowing air between the cards. Of course, w/o the space between the cards, that's if little value.

redeemer

Distinguished
for SLI or X-fire you generally want one pci slot space between cards, the top card will be warmer thats the way it is. Dual fan cards are great but suck for sli, always stick with reference when going multi gpu.

1, yes the more features enabled such ass high AA will heat up your card more
2. more cooling is always good
3. cards should be fine

What kind of case do you have and how are the fans setup?

doomiz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

Why on earth would 2 fans be worse than 1? :p

My case is this : http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/chieftec_aegis/ (very very bad choice.bought it like 2-3 years ago)

Got 1x 92mm fan on the side to the front that (i think) is blowing air inside the tower
1x 120mm fan on the side lid (the one u remove to see whats inside the tower) that i also think blows air inside the tower.wanted to focus on vga's this1
1x 120mm fan on top of the case blowing air inside again
1x 120mm on the back (its the one that goes with corsair h60) that blows air out
1x 80mm on chipset (x58 northbridge temps was crazy before that)

wish i had an extra pci slot but at the time i bought the mobo it was either this1 or i had to spend +200 bucks for one with extra slot.and i never intended at the time to sli :(

Any thoughts on how to improve my airflow maybe? im really kinda noob on this :bounce:

doomiz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

The gfx card ppl didnt pick my mobo but my mobo ppl did pick the sli verification while they actually shouldnt. The space they left between the 2x pci-e 16x slots is clearly a joke. While at the time i never thought i would sli in future i did seek a sli verified model. As a result i was expecting a decent spacing between cards in sli even if i didnt plan to use it that way.

monsta

Splendid
Turn up the fans , and increase your air flow with better cooling for the case such as a side fan, also increase the speed of the rear exhaust fan to get that hot air out as quickly as possible. Problem with the non reference cards is that they blow the heat directly into the case or other cards in SLI :(

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Most cases have a side fan anyway, just make sure there's a fan hooked up and set to intake and they both seem to run the same temp.

At least for me they both run the same.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Your temperatures are fine and completely normal for GTX 560's. nVidia states that temperatures in the 80-90'C range are normal for SLI cards during heavy gaming.

My GTX 560's in SLI would consistantly hit the same temperatures and I have two slots between them. I also thought the temps were a bit high so I bought a side panel with a mesh window for my Corsair 600T and added 4 x 120mm fans as exhaust to the mesh panel. This brought down my temps to around 75'C on top and 65'C on the bottom. I still wasn't happy so I bought a couple of Arctic Cooling Accellero Twin Turbo II GPU coolers for the 560's. This makes each card into a tripple slot height card (not an issue for me) but adds a massive heat sink and two fans good for 200 Watts of cooling capacity. I'm now hitting 50'C and 40'C respectively during gaming and the fans are dead silent. It was the best $80 I've ever spent on an upgrade and I can't believe they don't come this way from the factory. It's great.

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

Thats some awesome cooling!

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Yeah, I was pretty amazed too. It was the first time I've ever torn the heat sink off a reference card and it turns out that a lot of the housing is itself a heat sink, but it also turned out that the VRM's and RAM were conducting heat through about 1mm of "heat tape" to try and dissipate the energy through the housing which obviously wasn't all that efficient based on the results I saw.

TRENDING THREADS