Sign in with
Your question

Game Shuttering problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2011 1:54:01 PM

Hello all :)  I recently upgraded my pc with a new CPU and new GPU. I am having a problem were in almost ALL of my games I have this awkward "shuttering" problem. Such as in TF2, I will be playing then I will get no fps, a total freeze and the audio will bug out. All of my drivers are up to date, including the BIOS. If I could get some help that'd be great. Here's some info about my pc:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-core 940 Black edition
GFX: GeForce GTX 550 ti 2GB
MBOARD: Asus m3a78-emh
RAM: 4GB DDR2
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 2:33:02 PM

Check your ram , remove all the sticks and then add each one separately and boot and play to see if any of them are playing up. If its the ram this way you can isolate the problem

Also alt control delete mid game and check your memory usage , if its maxing out then you will need more than 4GB of ram for your system.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2011 2:42:44 PM

If your having the problem playing tf2 then its not a ram usage problem, its more then likely a bad stick, tf2 came out years ago- back when 2 gigs was the standard and 4 was insane.
m
l
December 17, 2011 3:29:19 PM

monsta said:
Check your ram , remove all the sticks and then add each one separately and boot and play to see if any of them are playing up. If its the ram this way you can isolate the problem

Also alt control delete mid game and check your memory usage , if its maxing out then you will need more than 4GB of ram for your system.

No luck, I have tabbed out and using msi after burner to check my GPU it's my GPU that hits 100%, not the CPU. I don't under stand why because Its a damn good gfx card.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:32:11 PM

Did you check the temps of the gpu?
m
l
December 17, 2011 3:33:15 PM

monsta said:
Did you check the temps of the gpu?

Chillin' around 49 atm, when under stress its like in the 50s.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 3:34:57 PM

Temps are very good.
Can you check your ram individually to see if any of the sticks are bad?
m
l
December 17, 2011 3:40:22 PM

monsta said:
Temps are very good.
Can you check your ram individually to see if any of the sticks are bad?

I actually don't know how to do this. Is there a 3rd party program or something like that I can use?
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:10:15 PM

your board supported the cpu with the same bios you have ? did you try uninstalling the graphics drivers and then do a custom install and NOT install the HDMI sound driver ? when I install nvidia drivers I only install the graphics driver and the physx driver. nothing else. go to windows update first to see what it finds.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 4:26:18 PM

Make sure the bios supporsts your CPU? You may need an updated bios.
It may not be recognizing the CPU since you installed everything with the old one. A format might be needed. You may not have cleaned the old video drivers out before installing new video drivers?

Most likely is the last suggestion.

A reformat would fix all but the bios suggestion.
m
l
December 17, 2011 4:53:37 PM

I have the BIOS updated to the current version.. This would be reformatting the C drive your talking about?
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 5:17:50 PM

you don't want to reformat until you try and find out what's wrong with it. did you try all suggestions above ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 5:27:51 PM

You said it was only TF2 in your youtube vid.
Reinstall Steam and TF2...

Good Luck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2011 5:30:22 PM

If it's all your games....
Check your CPU temp. If its high then make sure you got enough heatsink compound and the heatsink is seated properly.
It's not RAM because you would have BSOD's.
m
l
December 18, 2011 2:05:59 PM

I tested if the ram was bad, one of my 4 1g sticks was BAD. I just went to comp usa and bought 2 2g ones. I THINK its fixed, not sure.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 2:11:34 PM

Sounded like the ram , one stick can be bad and cause you a lot of grief.
m
l
December 18, 2011 3:08:38 PM

monsta said:
Sounded like the ram , one stick can be bad and cause you a lot of grief.

It's not the ram at this point, all of the OLD ram is out of the machine. I believe it's the hard drive now. When playing the game, It will freeze up and then a TICK noise will come from the hard drive, or so I think thats where its coming from. Then it will unfreeze then repeat. I am in the process of replacing the hard drive with a new one that has a WAY higher RPM
m
l
December 18, 2011 3:12:07 PM

memadmax said:
You said it was only TF2 in your youtube vid.
Reinstall Steam and TF2...

Good Luck.

That wasn't my video. Just an example of WHAT my problem is and that it happens with ALL my games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 5:59:47 PM

Sad_megatron said:
It's not the ram at this point, all of the OLD ram is out of the machine. I believe it's the hard drive now. When playing the game, It will freeze up and then a TICK noise will come from the hard drive, or so I think thats where its coming from. Then it will unfreeze then repeat. I am in the process of replacing the hard drive with a new one that has a WAY higher RPM

If somebody else can monitor the HDD led while you play, it would be great to relate the freezes to the HDD light. If the game requests something from HDD and it cannot provide the data, then freezes can occur. However, please also check for HDD SMART monitoring utilities. They could also place the HDD in such a "delayed command" state. BTW, how long are your freezes compared to the video?
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 6:05:31 PM

You could also try updating the bios for the video card , go to the asus website and see if there a new version bios for your 550ti, see if that helps.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:30:39 AM

Well, now with steam installed to my E drive and a few command tricks for tf2, it runs for about 10 minutes then game freezes, sound loops then it crashes the whole damn E drive.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 5:40:45 AM

Sorry to hear you are still having problems , could you run the game and check task manager for your cpu and memory usage and see if they are topping out?
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:16:17 AM

They arn't even high at all, CPU is only around 30~65 and memory only goes up to 2.50 gb around max.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:36:12 AM

Heres the low down now, my games work for about 10 minutes, then they crash/steam crashes, and E drive just is gone from computer. Also I get 1 beep when I start up my pc. If that is going to help
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 8:20:54 AM

Do you have another pci-e slot to try the graphics card in?
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:26:10 AM

Negatory, I have a ASUS M3A78-EMH.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 8:29:28 AM

Meh :( 
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:33:26 AM

What does that mean? :( 
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:41:43 AM

Would a new mother board fix this crap? I'm pretty sure mine is old..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 6:08:24 PM

Please...see about your HDD. A drive should not just disappear. Even you said there was kind of a tick. I suppose you did not hear it until the problems appeared. Do you also hear a spin-up sound before the tick? Just compare the 2 HDD sounds (PC power on and HDD tick when having the problem). I kept having HDD problems when the molex connector from the HDD was "too large" (due to many insertions/removals). So certain vibrations or minor shocks would make a small disconnection, enough for the HDD to reset. I am guessing this because I don't even know if you have IDE or SATA HDD. But try to change the HDD power connectors.

Update: just a quick check, while in BIOS (so Windows is not loaded), try to push up and down slightly on the HDD power connector, and see if you get any spin-up sound.
m
l
!