Closed Solved

Where does my new graphics card go in?

Right now I have an Radeon HD 4200 which came with my computer but I am looking to put a new one in. I've watched videos on where and how graphics cards go in computers but I dont know where it is on mine.

Also, where is my old graphics card located?


http://imgur.com/AgJxS

This is the inside of my computer. I would assume that the new graphics card goes in the black slot to the right under the power supply, but shouldnt my current graphics card be there right now?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about where graphics card
  1. Your current card is integrated into the chip set on the board not a physical card! You have your eye on the correct slot!
  2. The HD4200 was available as a discreet card and a "integrated" version.

    http://voices.yahoo.com/ati-radeon-hd-4200-gaming-why-some-gamers-hate-it-6635856.html

    It would appear that is what you have.

    What MoBo do you have ?

    I can't see the slot clearly in your photo but GFX card (PCI-E) slots typically have a latch and are longer than nearby PCI slots. See the blue horizontal on in this shot

    http://www.techreaction.net/2010/02/14/overclocking-the-msi-785gm-e65-integrated-ati-hd4200-gpu/

    or the long blue on here to the left of the "Hybrid CFX" lettering

    http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp/2454/05
  3. Alright, I dont know what a mobo is. At least I know where the graphics card goes now. ( Just in case he is wrong which he probably isnt, The graphics card is going in that black slot under my power supply right?)
  4. lol

    A mobo is the motherboard
  5. Best answer
    thethomas said:
    Alright, I dont know what a mobo is. At least I know where the graphics card goes now. ( Just in case he is wrong which he probably isnt, The graphics card is going in that black slot under my power supply right?)

    The long slot which is the only one it will fit in!
  6. Again, look at the photos in the links I gave you

    MoBo = MotherBoard

    Again, if ya give us the system specs ....MoBo make and model, it would be ez to confirm ..... From your image <56 year old eyes> I just cant tell whether that's a PCI-E or PCI slot

    Look again at this picture

    http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp/2454/05

    See the long blue slot ? Notice starting from the left side that there is a short set of pins, then abreak then a long set of pins ..... this is the reverse of the shorter slots below ....going from the back of your case ... if the pin spacing is short section-break-long section, that's PCI-E slot.....if its long section-break-short section, that's PCI slot


    Case Rear --------- ||||||------------------------------------------------------------ PCI-E (GFX) Slot


    Case Rear --------------------------------------------------||||| ---------- PCI (Not GFX) Slot
  7. Best answer selected by thethomas.
  8. On the image PCIe X16 slot with the card latch at the end of it!
  9. thethomas said:


    AMD 785G is the chipset

    In your link, take note of the following

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-5080737-5156939.html

    Slots:

    1 MiniCard
    1 PCI-Express x16
    3 PCI Express x1

    The bold is your answer :)
  10. JackNaylorPE said:
    AMD 785G is the chipset

    In your link, take note of the following

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-5080737-5156939.html

    Slots:

    1 MiniCard
    1 PCI-Express x16
    3 PCI Express x1

    The bold is your answer :)


    Thank you if I could select two best answers I would add you!
  11. rolli59 said:
    On the image PCIe X16 slot with the card latch at the end of it!


    My 56 year old eyes had trouble with the shadows on his image, couldn't discern if that was latch .... and with the darkness at the other end, couldn't tell where the break in pins was .......of course it's harder when no PCI slots nearby.....then ya just say "It's the long one"
  12. thethomas said:
    Thank you if I could select two best answers I would add you!


    No worries....Rolli deserves it....he's got the younger eyes !
  13. JackNaylorPE said:
    No worries....Rolli deserves it....he's got the younger eyes !

    Only by 4years and my glasses are that old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics