Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No image found error when trying to load windows

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2012 11:28:13 PM

I just built my first home system. I used these forums and got a shopping list bought everything and built the computer. i put the disc in and it started to load, it got to 69% on the expanding files which was its first action and the power went out. no problem i thought, but now when i try to boot, it constantly says no image found. i went so far as to buy a brand new optical drive today. its a brand new OEM from newegg and it was working fine until the power outage. i dont know what to do now! i have tried resetting and rewiring and even the new optical drive, do i need a new windows disc? did i somehow ruin it?

CPU-- i5 2500k
GPU-- radeon 7950
MOBO-- ASROCK p67 extreme4 gen3
SSD-- Corsair 120g SSD
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 11:16:10 PM

Go into your bios (when your pc starts up it says push this button to enter bios do that) Look at your boot order and make sure it is set to boot from the cd rom first then the hdd second. If its not set it as such now save and exit bios and make sure your windows disc is in. This should let you boot from the windows disc and use it to format the previous try of the install then continue to normally install.
February 16, 2012 11:19:11 PM

well currently in the UEFI i have the boot priority set to UEFI optical then sata optical then sata ssd in that order. as i understand it thats the same thing right?
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 11:49:00 PM

I think that you may need to wipe the disk and do a fresh install.

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520

Method 8: Use the Diskpart.exe utility to clean the disk, and then run Windows Setup again
If you have tried all the methods that are listed in this section and the problem persists, use the Diskpart.exe utility to clean the disk, and then run Windows Setup again.

Note Use this method only if you want to perform a clean installation of Windows. When you clean the hard disk, it is formatted. All partitions and all data on the hard disk are permanently removed. We strongly recommend that you back up the files on the hard disk before you clean the disk.

To use the Diskpart.exe utility to clean the hard disk, follow these steps:

Insert the DVD into the DVD drive.
On the disk selection screen, press SHIFT+F10. A Command Prompt window opens.
Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.
Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.
Type sel disk number, and then press ENTER. number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.
Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.
Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.
Type exit, and then press ENTER to close the diskpart tool.
Close the Command Prompt window.
Click the Refresh button to update the disk selection screen. This step lists the disk.
Run Windows Setup to perform a clean installation of Windows.
February 16, 2012 11:55:17 PM

OK. update. another site told me to disable marvel 3 in my UEFI and when i booted it said press any key to boot from CD or DVD.... so i pressed enter and now its stuck on that screen and im scared to touch anything now. should i wait or do the above^

edit: just read the above and it seems to be implying i do these things in windows that im trying to install for the first time on a new blank machine? or is that in bios and im dumb?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:02:10 AM

you hit "Shift 'F10'" at the disk selection screen (where you otherwise choose CD or DVD)

Edit: reboot and try again. :) 

And 'yes' we will wipe the drive and reinstall WIN since the first install was interrupted.
February 17, 2012 12:12:10 AM

wait i pressed shift+f10 and it said windows is loading files blk scrn white gray bar. then did spinny windows logo and now on blue install windows screen. did you just fix me or do i need to do more than just install?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:14:05 AM

I would go through all of the steps since your first install was interrupted.

You may have problems otherwise.
February 17, 2012 12:17:04 AM

but my only option from this screen is to install windows. so install then wipe then install?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:20:05 AM

nope I think reboot and press "shift 'f10'" at the disk selection screen. :) 
February 17, 2012 12:24:55 AM

in the install screen on disc selection i have:

Disc 0 partition 1: System Reserved 100MB 86MB (free space) System (type)

Disc 0 partition 2 111.7GB 106.2GB (freespace) Primary (type)

im really dumb so i dont know if i should delete format or just install on partition 2. im leaning on format right? then install? if i understand your advice
February 17, 2012 12:25:11 AM

Best answer selected by blacksix.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:25:29 AM

Or, you could just format the HDD from that windows install screen. If you have that option. Then install.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:26:01 AM

Thank you sir! Good luck!
February 17, 2012 12:28:48 AM

no sir, thank you. im will format then install. thanks to all who replied in my first ever build saga. sort of a relief to know i did it all right from scratch by myself. nice accomplishment. ill definitely build my systems from now on.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:33:55 AM

blacksix said:
no sir, thank you. im will format then install. thanks to all who replied in my first ever build saga. sort of a relief to know i did it all right from scratch by myself. nice accomplishment. ill definitely build my systems from now on.

Glad to hear nothing brings you more pride then do it yourself. and i'm glad you got it all straightened out. Now go update your windows before activating it install your drives update them then test out your gaming :p 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:35:49 AM

zolton33 said:
Glad to hear nothing brings you more pride then do it yourself. and i'm glad you got it all straightened out. Now go update your windows before activating it install your drives update them then test out your gaming :p 

^+1

Especially, 'test out your gaming.' :sol: 
February 17, 2012 12:37:04 AM

WAIT NO DONT LEAVE! i actually tried to format both partitions and clicked it and did nothing. like literally nothing. i have the option to delete them format them refresh or load a driver. to i need a driver for that SSD or to DL any drivers before i install windows? i thought i just installed windows then did drivers?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:39:56 AM

delete then format I believe.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:43:44 AM

blacksix said:
WAIT NO DONT LEAVE! i actually tried to format both partitions and clicked it and did nothing. like literally nothing. i have the option to delete them format them refresh or load a driver. to i need a driver for that SSD or to DL any drivers before i install windows? i thought i just installed windows then did drivers?

You do some motherboards need a driver installed at windows install (most are out dated bios problems where it does not recognize the hdd) The drivers i meant come with your motherboard and install utilities like a tool to monitor your cpu temps. As well as your ethernet connections and such (i forgot it after a fresh install of windows and thought my ethernet was burned up as it refused to work lol)
February 17, 2012 12:48:08 AM

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

^^^thats the error i get
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 12:51:47 AM

Go through method 8 to wipe the drive.
February 17, 2012 1:04:53 AM

ok to be honest i dont know even how to begin method 8
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 1:10:36 AM

boot with WIN 7 disk in the when it gets to the screen where your HDD is listed, hit "shift 'f10'"
February 17, 2012 1:21:52 AM

roger running. ill post results thank you.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 1:22:50 AM

kk good luck!
February 17, 2012 1:33:08 AM

GREAT SUCCESS!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 1:39:35 AM

Sweet :D 
February 17, 2012 1:47:37 AM

im going to sleep now. ill do all the drivers and programs tomorrow. im too tired. barely slept the past 2 days trying to get this stupid windows to install. all the hardware parts exterior post and then final build were no problem but installing this stupid OS is like seriously a crash course in computer programming or something to me. but then again, im just some dumb army guy who likes battlefield 3 and wanted to try to build a computer from scratch with no knowledge and just the internet. took me 2 days but its worth it. thanks again guys this really is cool of you guys to help people realize a goal like this. im going to rebuild a harley basketcase next :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 1:50:44 AM

Lol the harley will be easier :p  And i'm just glad you got it all worked out. Just remember to update windows before activating it (some have run into big problems not doing it) But hope you have fun :) 
!