So it seems I got a connections problem.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Here is my current build:

CX430 V2 Power Supply
NZXT Gamma Case
Asus DVD-RW
Seagate 7200RPM HDD
Intel i3-2100 using Stock Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 2 X 4GB DDR3
1 120MM Fan that came with the case

So I intended to install a 6870 into the case, and then realized there was a big noob mistake in the room.
I was reading reviews and then saw that the 6870 required two PCI-E Plugs, instead of the 1 that is required by the 6850.
Now I looked at my build and did in fact find 1 PCI-E Plug, and 3 Molex/4 Pin plugs available.

The CX430 should be able to easily and safely power a 6870 (AFAIK), so the issue is the connections.
With 3 Molex Plugs available, I could purchase this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887001

Is it safe and reliable to use a 4 Pin adapter like the one above?

This will leave me with One 4 Pin connection left to upgrade from the single exhaust fan
to the 2 fan system. If you have seen photos or own the NZXT Gamma, you can see that the HDD area seems to block a good amount of airflow. I would probably want to go with the highest CFM 120MM Fan for the front intake, right?
Can anyone chime in if the front HDD area blocks as much air from a front intake fan as it seems?
This seems to have a much higher CFM rating than the other fans on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The fan power connector should be a pass-through type and since that fan won't pull more than about 4-5 watts maximum, there's no reason you can't plug it into the molex>6pin adapter or a future 2nd fan connection. There's no reason at all not to daisy-chain or use splitters for fan power connectors. The power draw is miniscule compared to everything else in your system.

bigj231

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I think that if you put more exhaust fans towards the rear of the case, it would create a lower pressure at the front and suck air in from the front, so a front fan might be completely unnecessary. That being said, I see several pictures of people putting fans in the front of that case.

I do know that several graphics card manufacturers do (at least did) include a 4 to 6 pin adapter for some of their graphics cards, so they can't be all bad. If I used one, I would hook it up to separate sets of wires coming from the PSU, so as to not stress the internals too much with a huge load on one set of leads.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The case can only support one rear exhaust fan, so a second fan would have to be a top/side/front fan.

BigJ, now that you mention it, it appears that the video card DOES come with the adapters. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

The picture shows only one Molex connector going to one PCIE connection, rather than 2 Molex to one PCIE (Like the LogiSYS I posted), does that mean one Molex plug could supply enough power for one PCIE plug?

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The real limiting factor is the thickness and number of 12V wires from the power supply. Most PS cables should easily carry 10A of current. That would be 120W per yellow wire. If the 6870 needs more than about 100W from the 6-pin connector, get the double plug from logysis. There's a big difference in the quality control needed for reliable power supplies and that needed for simple cable adapters.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Thought I was in the clear, and then something else arises.

I am pretty much set on this card now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161396

Has great reviews, runs cooler than reference designs, is overclocked out of the box, comes with 2 Molex to 1 PCI, and has
a competitive price with other 6870 cards. I then began looking at my case and measurements, and it
seems the NZXT Gamma will support the card as well. Then I look at my motherboard.

I have a Biostar H61MGC Motherboard (which I have yet to have a single issue with), but
I don't know if there is enough room on the motherboard for the HIS 6870. I don't have
any PCI devices, and I am using a stock CPU Cooler. The space looks awfully cramped for
the 6870. Here are photos that will allow you to get a good look of the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138332

Thoughts?

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
What's the problem? So the video card will block one of your PCIe X1 slots. That's hardly an unusual situation. Nearly all mid-range and up gfx cards are two slots thick (or at least one and a half, still precluding use of the adjacent slot).

It might also cause problems with one or two of your SATA connectors but right-angle cables could ease that problem and you have other ports, too.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I knew it was sort of standard for the cards to be two slots thick, but my motherboard seemed to have the PCI Express Slot awfully close to everything else (this was my first build).

So it seems pretty much confirmed and set in stone, once I get my funds together; I will purchase the HIS IceQ 6870 Video card.

Thanks to all! :D