Critique My Planned Build!

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello everyone!
The time has come for me to build a new rig! Im still rockin a P4 with XP and 945P/ICH7 chipset, and it can no longer do the things I'd like it to. But before I pull the trigger on a $1300 purchase, I figured id ask some people who know what they're talking about if I've made the right component choices or overlooked anything.
For reference I plan to use it primarily for gaming, possibly in 3d, but definitively with 2+ displays. I plan to OC, and FINALLY build a rig that's super clean inside (cable management, placement, ect.
So without further ado, here's my list of components, any notes I have on them, and links to their product page on NewEgg (If i feel it's necessary ;) ).

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)
-Mostly because its relatively cheap (I save $20 by bundling it with the cpu), and has the features I'm looking for, and none I'm not, I.e on board video. Also, I'm ashamed to admit, aesthetics is important in this build, so color scheme as well.

Cooler: Corsair H60 or H80
-Clean look, both seem to preform well, will probably go with H60 for more case space, and to save 20 bucks or so.

Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PRO-PK1
-The only top compound I could find on NewEgg

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
- Couldn't find anything else with faster timings and a price I could stomach, but I plan to OC em anyway. Also heatsinks look huge, but I don't see that being an issue with the cooler I plan to get. From what I understand 4GB is plenty for gaming, so 8 should give me more than enough wiggle room.

GPU: Dual SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB
-Always wanted a dual graphics card setup, and I'm gonna have one dammit! :kaola: Checked some benchmarks and dual 6850's seem to out preform alot of more expensive single GPUs. And depending on what I do with displays in the future, I may need the extra ports on the 2nd card.

HDD: Sandisk 120Gb Sata II SSD
-Price is a factor in this build, so I save a few bucks by going with a Sata II drive. Slightly concerned with the brand, but reviews seemed mostly positive.

PSU: Diablotek UL Series PSUL775 775W
-I would have liked to get a nicer, modular Corsair, but again I save a few bucks with this model. I plan to Mod and re-sleeve the cables anyway, so I may as well do it on a cheaper unit I don't mind voiding the warranty on.

Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-30
-For $110 its a big roomy case with a bunch of fans. I mostly like it for the quick access to the fan filters, as dust in my rig has been an issue in the past.

-Don't see any real advantages in pro or ultimate for me (Am I wrong about this?). I may do a dual boot and play around with linux, but that'd just be for fun.

So that's it! I don't think I've forgotten anything. Tell me what you all think! Anything overkill or not enough, experinces with any of these components, ect, ect.

Thanks in advance for your input, and flame on!

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4

8150 @ stock
Metro- min-27 max-60 avg-43
BFBC2- min-45 max-94 avg-65
Crysis2- min-42 max-91 avg-58
Lost Planet2- avg-33
Dirt3- min-75 avg-99
Cinebench- 5.84

i5 2500K @ stock
Metro- min-27 max-59 avg-43
BFBC2- min-44 max-97 avg-65
Crysis2-min-36 max-88 avg-62
LostPlanet2- avg-34
Dirt3- min-79 avg-105
Cinebench- 5.12

Looks like BD fx - 8150 and i5 2500k are pretty similar in terms of gaming performance add in the additional average cost of an Intel platform and slightly higher cost of the 8150 chip and looks like AMD and Intel offer up pretty even results on average as far as gaming as I have outlined and double certified above with link provided.

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Diablotek makes grossly overrated PSU-shaped objects that should never be connected to computer components if there is any possibility they will be plugged into an A/C power source. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Current FSP, NZXT, and Rosewill have also all been favorably reviewed. I have never read a favorable competent technical review of any Diablotek, Apevia, Logisys, or Raidmax PSU; many have blown up and/or burned well under their claimed rating.

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks, that's why I asked! I know I should get a better PSU, but I'm apprehensive about spending more on one that I plan to hack up anyway, any suggestions?

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

What do you mean by "hack up"?
You can get a good Corsair, or Antec PSU that is modular and under $100.
I paid $40 (got a $15 Newegg Gift Card with it, so really $25) for a CX430.

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
What do you mean by "hack up"?
You can get a good Corsair, or Antec PSU that is modular and under $100.
I paid $40 (got a $15 Newegg Gift Card with it, so really $25) for a CX430.

By hack up I mean cut out any unused cables (ill save a few for future expansion), lengthen/shorten any that don't make it to their destinations cleanly, and sleeve them in a way that makes it look pretty! Also I doubt a $40 430watt PSU would power what I have planned. Looked at a few PSU calculators, and from what I could gather, 700w should be my min.

Who are you asking, and what is your question? If me, about PSUs, sources include HardwareSecrets, Jonnyguru, HardOCP, and even a little xbitlabs. Newegg "reviews" are consumer fluff; a competent technical review includes load testing, waveform analysis, and often dissection with a discussion of the parts used.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I didn't intend for it to power your system. :pt1cable:
I just used it as a example of how cheap Corsair and other good
companies can be if you wait for the sale.

:)

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Well from what i could gather from benchmarks, Dual 6850s out preform the more or similarly costly single card setups, I.e 6050s and 560s. Now i know theres the argument for future expandabilty, but i suspect by the time this rig wont do what ill ask of it, we'll all be on to bigger and better things!

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Or Corsair AX-650 - AX-750 they are the same

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Wait? I cant! I'm having trouble not clicking the purchase button NOW and having it next day shipped! :pt1cable:

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Word. Thanks guys, I knew I was skimping on that a bit, Ill take a look at the Seasonics and another look at the Corsairs and see if I find one that'll work for me.

I believe you would be better served by a single high-end card like a HD6970. Two lesser cards may hit higher frame rates, but they are also more prone to microstuttering and driver issues. All games support a single GPU; some may not do so well with a pair.

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

/cry But I want dual cards! Your right though, any advantages/disadvantages when running multiple displays?

Do any of your games use PhysX? Few do, and you may not care about it anyway, but if you want dual cards, get a GTX560Ti and a GT240 or GTS450 to offload the PhysX. Dual cards; there ya go!
More seriously, if you're thinking of multi-monitor gaming, if it were me I'd rather be able to have Eyefinity across three monitors on one powerful card (e.g. HD7950) than be limited to two monitors (putting the bezels right in the middle).

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

the 6950 i assume you mean?

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well thanks for all the feedback guys, after talkin to you all I think Ill go with one better GPU (likely a 6950, lookin at benchmarks now), and that'll save me the cash to go with a better, lower wattage PSU.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

HUH? you serious?
Read these articles:

For Efficiency ---> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-e-efficiency-core-i7-3960x,3075-11.html
For Power Consumption ----> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-e-efficiency-core-i7-3960x,3075-7.html

2500k's idle power consumption based on Tom's hardware's tests is 41 watts compared to FX 8150's 73 watts
You can say that they are similar performance wise but FX-8150 is POWER HUNGRY which should result to a larger electric bill!

Ahh and let's not forget this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/583-pc-fail-fx-itanium.html

AMD made good athlons and phenoms but their bulldozers? I don't think so

@Topic

Great build dude! But if you can wait just a little longer until the z77 chipset for ivy bridge goes out which is also available for the 1155 platform, I think that would be great as well :D

TRENDING THREADS