GSM/v551 Beginner MediaNET ?s

Just switched from ATTWS to GSM and a Motorola v551 phone.

Trying to learn about using internet and text messaging.

A couple of beginner ?s:

1. Icon: there is an icon to the right of the signal strength. Sometimes
it shows the "GPRS packet data available" icon shown in the Motorola
manual and sometimes it shows an icon that looks like the letter "E"
(somewhat stylized) with two lines underneath it. Can't find that in
manual or online help. What is it?

2. Can I "easily" use Yahoo IM from my v551? I tried once to login and
it failed so before running up charges (haven't signed up for data plan
yet) thought I'd do more research. I "think" I followed Yahoo Mobile's
directions correctly.

3. If I use Yahoo IM can I change the AIM icon to YahooIM for easy
access?

4. Is there a site to view all web sites one can access from
Cingular/v551?

5. Unrelated question: I read in the Welcome Kit or somewhere that there
is a PIN code for the SIM. Don't think I received it. Do I need it?

Thanks from this old beginner. Appreciate the help.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
2 answers Last reply

    In <XJmdnbl14asbnEzfRVn-pQ@speakeasy.net> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:08:26 -0400,
    Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

    >4. Is there a site to view all web sites one can access from
    >Cingular/v551?

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=wap+sites>

    While WAP in the phone is fairly limited, you can get a true Web browser for
    the phone that works amazingly well on many regular HTTP Web sites
    <http://www.getjar.com/products/30/WebViewer>.

    Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
    > Just switched from ATTWS to GSM and a Motorola v551 phone.

    > 1. Icon: there is an icon to the right of the signal strength. Sometimes
    > it shows the "GPRS packet data available" icon shown in the Motorola
    > manual and sometimes it shows an icon that looks like the letter "E"
    > (somewhat stylized) with two lines underneath it. Can't find that in
    > manual or online help. What is it?

    The "E" is EDGE, a faster GPRS. Mine is Cingular v551. The E appears in
    the Bay Area, and the standard GPRS near my home.

    > 3. If I use Yahoo IM can I change the AIM icon to YahooIM for easy
    > access?

    Let me know when you find out ;-)

    > 4. Is there a site to view all web sites one can access from
    > Cingular/v551?

    A Google search that you can use from your phone or PC
    http://www.google.com/xhtml

    Generally interesting stuff to peruse:
    http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/index.htm

    --