Strange Internet Sharing Issue

Ollibolli

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
Hello,

I have a computer that acts strange whenever connected to a network with a shared internet connection.

This has been tried on two setups, one with a DSL line directly connected to a router which then connected the network, and another one with a computer with a DSL connection that then shares it to the computer with the problems via ethernet cable.

I have the same problems both times, which makes me think it's something with the individual computer rather than the network itself.

File sharing and "normal" networking stuff seems to work just fine, but I can't access any web pages. I am able to play games online etc though, it's just web browsing that doesn't work.

On the setup with the router, I got web access in short bursts of a few minutes every now and then, after which nothing worked again.

I have tried all settings I know of in both IE and firefox, but can't seem to find anything that solves this.

Any ideas?

Edit: I use different ethernet cables in the two setups, so I think I can ignore that as a possible source of the problem.

The network card is built in on an NForce 2 board on the computer that is having problems. I've tried reinstalling new drivers.
-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD *DEAD after 2 years*, now running some old 6.1 GB drive, Hercules MuseLT.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ollibolli on 07/14/05 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

riser

Illustrious
Sounds like possible spyware/virus could be blocking your internet access. You can run spyware removes and maybe the program Hijackthis to see what's causing it.

You might want to setup a proxy in IE to point to your router and use port 80.

Ollibolli

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
I have run Ad-Aware and antivirus, didn't come up with anything.

At the moment the computer is connected to the internet via another computer with ICS, no router in between.

After some experimenting with settings I got the "shared internet connection" to show up on the computer, but the same problems still exist.

I might do a format and see if that helps.

-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD *DEAD after 2 years*, now running some old 6.1 GB drive, Hercules MuseLT.

riser

Illustrious
Try setting up your proxy to point to your other computer, using port 80.

Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Lan Settings

Did you use the diskette that Windows makes to configure your computers for ICS?