Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Install question

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2012 12:09:53 AM

my quistion is if i have a Disk that comes with a different Registered windows 7 computer, can i use it to install on my freinds laptop?

Note: my freinds laptop had windows 7 on it, and he took it to a makeshift computer shop that put Linux on it, and of all things DIDNT INSTALL ANY DRIVERS, :\, anyway the laptop has its own product key, but i just need a disk to install it with, can i use that disk that came with the other computer?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 1:25:24 AM

TechnicEclipse said:
my quistion is if i have a Disk that comes with a different Registered windows 7 computer, can i use it to install on my freinds laptop?

Note: my freinds laptop had windows 7 on it, and he took it to a makeshift computer shop that put Linux on it, and of all things DIDNT INSTALL ANY DRIVERS, :\, anyway the laptop has its own product key, but i just need a disk to install it with, can i use that disk that came with the other computer?

You can use your disk to install if:

1) Yours is the same version as his: Home; Pro; Ultimate
2) His bit is the same as your disk. That is, 64 or 32bit. If your disk is 32bit and his license is for 64 bit then won't work. Your disk needs to install the same version/bit as his license is for
3) Assuming everything matches when it's time to enter the windows key use his ...OR...don't enter any key and complete the install. It gives you 30 days before it becomes inactive. After he completes the install, downloads the drivers, does the updates, etc., then...and only then...click the Start button and type register in the box and then click register and enter the his key and then complete the registration.

Note: If the cpu or mobo changed from the original registration he may need to call MS and get a new key if his doesn't get accepted.
February 16, 2012 1:32:17 AM

QuietPC said:
You can use your disk to install if:

1) Yours is the same version as his: Home; Pro; Ultimate
2) His bit is the same as your disk. That is, 64 or 32bit. If your disk is 32bit and his license is for 64 bit then won't work. Your disk needs to install the same version/bit as his license is for
3) Assuming everything matches when it's time to enter the windows key use his ...OR...don't enter any key and complete the install. It gives you 30 days before it becomes inactive. After he completes the install, downloads the drivers, does the updates, etc., then...and only then...click the Start button and type register in the box and then click register and enter the his key and then complete the registration.

Note: If the cpu or mobo changed from the original registration he may need to call MS and get a new key if his doesn't get accepted.

Thankz for the reply, and no it hasnt changed at all. its excatly the same, he just got a reg host, virus and had to reinstall his os, and the person he took it too put Linux on it without asking. sooo ty for the reply :) , :D 
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:32:36 AM

Best answer selected by TechnicEclipse.
m
l
!