Sign in with
Your question

First build yields BSOD after week of running fine - HELP!

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2012 12:55:54 AM

This is my first ever computer build, and everything had been running fine for about a week. Now I've gotten the BSOD three times tonight. Here are the details of the build:

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Intel i5 2400 3.1 GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
Corsair CX500V2 PSU
Corsair XMS 2x4GB 1600 RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium

Prior to today, I had a Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 monitor hooked up via VGA. Today, I switched the Samsung to HDMI, and added an older Dell LCD via VGA (both connected to the video card, the Dell via DVI-to-VGA adapter). I fooled around in AMD's Catalyst Control Center (or whatever it's called) to scale my Samsung properly. The only other thing that is different is that I added uTorrent and was running that for each BSOD.

After the second BSOD, I updated the GPU drivers via Catalyst. I also unplugged the secondary (VGA) monitor. I still got a BSOD after about 20 minutes.

BSOD says driver_irql_not_less_or_equal during BSOD.

I have the dump files, but don't know how to open or read them.

Any clue what I should do to fix this?
February 16, 2012 1:28:14 AM

After a bit more research, I'm thinking maybe I should just download Drivermax and run that? Anyone have experience with that program?
February 16, 2012 1:37:42 AM

dutchstriker said:
After a bit more research, I'm thinking maybe I should just download Drivermax and run that? Anyone have experience with that program?

I would suggest that you download a driver cleaner and completely remove catalyst and the video drivers, reboot and download the current versions and reinstall. Could also be that with uTorrent you got a bug (virus). Did you run a full virus and malware scan? If not try whatever you use and then try one of the online versions from another company AND download and run Malwarebytes to check for malware (its free).
February 16, 2012 2:25:32 AM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and a full scan reveals no issues.

The dump files say ntoskrnl.exe is the module causing the BSOD. I'll do a clean reinstall of the drivers and let you know what happens.
!