2000$ first build (advice appreciated)

Just started finding the parts for my first build, because my XPS 720 is nearing its death gaming wise. To make the right decisions and to learn about building a computer i have read tons of guides and reviews. My aim is building a system with as much performance for the buck as possible. What i ended up with was the following.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
CPU: I7 2700K
Mobo: ASUS p8Z68-V Pro
GPU: GTX 460 SLI (i have one from my current set up)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB
Hard Disk: Corsair Force S3 SSD
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 800

It took me many hours doing the build and i would like to know if i made some bad choices or if i can get even more performance for the same money. If needed i also have a little more money to spend. I will be happy to hear any suggestions. :)

PS: I live in Denmark where prices are high, therefore the price in the US might be less than 2000$
9 answers Last reply
More about 2000 build advice appreciated
  1. SargeK155 said:
    Just started finding the parts for my first build, because my XPS 720 is nearing its death gaming wise. To make the right decisions and to learn about building a computer i have read tons of guides and reviews. My aim is building a system with as much performance for the buck as possible. What i ended up with was the following.

    Case: Cooler Master HAF X
    CPU: I7 2700K
    Mobo: ASUS p8Z68-V Pro
    GPU: GTX 460 SLI (i have one from my current set up)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB
    Hard Disk: Corsair Force S3 SSD
    PSU: Corsair Gaming Series 800

    It took me many hours doing the build and i would like to know if i made some bad choices or if i can get even more performance for the same money. If needed i also have a little more money to spend. I will be happy to hear any suggestions. :)

    PS: I live in Denmark where prices are high, therefore the price in the US might be less than 2000$


    I think you are making some less than good use of component choices and in so doing increasing the cost without getting the performance. Can we assume your main interest is gaming? If so then the cpu is overkill; you can save on the mobo; the video is too low end; Corsiar SSD is not a good choice (Crucial, Intel or Samsung) and the Psu is overpowered. Here is a $1300 USD gaming system with everything for comparison:

    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Model #:RC-922M-KKN1-GP
    Item #:N82E16811119197
    Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
    In Stock
    Mail in Rebate

    Note (Add)
    $119.99 -$15.00 Instant $104.99


    Update

    ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

    ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Model #:P8Z68-V LE
    Item #:N82E16813131773
    Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $139.99 -$10.00 Instant $129.99


    Update

    GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

    GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Model #:GV-R695OC-1GD
    Item #:N82E16814125385
    Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $249.99 $249.99


    Update

    SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

    SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Model #:M12II 520 Bronze
    Item #:N82E16817151093
    Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $99.99 -$20.00 Instant $79.99


    Update

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
    Model #:BX80623I52500K
    Item #:N82E16819115072
    Return Policy:Iron Egg Replacement-Only Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $229.99 $229.99


    Update

    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit

    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit
    Model #:CT128M4SSD2CCA
    Item #:N82E16820148448
    Return Policy:Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $199.99 -$40.00 Instant $159.99


    Update

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    Model #:F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    Item #:N82E16820231314
    Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $46.99 $46.99


    Update

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Model #:WD5002AALX
    Item #:N82E16822136795
    Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $149.99 $149.99


    Update

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Model #:DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
    Item #:N82E16827135204
    Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $22.99 $22.99


    Update

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Model #:GFC-02050
    Item #:N82E16832116986
    Return Policy:Software Standard Return Policy
    In Stock

    Note (Add)
    $99.99 $99.99
    Subtotal: $1,274.90
  2. you don't need an i7 at all for gaming... i'd recommend saving money and getting the i5-2500K/2550K

    also Intel SSD's are much more reliable - go with the Intel 520 Cherryville series instead
  3. Quote:
    I think you are making some less than good use of component choices and in so doing increasing the cost without getting the performance. Can we assume your main interest is gaming? If so then the cpu is overkill; you can save on the mobo; the video is too low end; Corsiar SSD is not a good choice (Crucial, Intel or Samsung) and the Psu is overpowered. Here is a $1300 USD gaming system with everything for comparison:


    I definitely agree about the CPU and the SSD. However I will still say that the Caviar Black is not a good option right now - you're paying a huge premium for a secondary storage option that's kind of pointless to have when you can get a green drive with higher capacity for the same price and you won't notice anything at all.

    Quote:
    also Intel SSD's are much more reliable - go with the Intel 520 Cherryville series instead


    Intels are pretty decent - I'd still recommend the Crucial or Samsung SSDs.

    This would be my suggestion for a build (these are US prices so if you need prices in your country I can link those) :

    Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $99.99
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII - $149.99
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro - $219.99
    CPU: 3.30 GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $164.99
    HD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - $139.99
    Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - $449.99

    Total: $1,481.92
  4. Thanks for the suggestions, i changed some things and right now its looking like this:
    CPU: I changed it to the 2500K
    Is there any purpose in getting the 2550K instead?
    SSD: changed to the Crucial M4 128GB
    Cooler: Added a Cooler Master 212 Evo to my build
    HD: Added the Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
    Optical: Temporarily going to use the optical drive from my current setup until i can afford a blue-ray.
    PSU: Is 520W enough? I would like a PSU that i could use after upgrades too.
    Video-card: This is what puzzles me the most. If i already have one of the 460GTX, what would be the purpose of investing in a new one if i can get another one in SLI?
  5. cooler master haf x case
    asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 mobo
    intel i5 2550k cpu
    cooler master hyper 212 plus cpu cooler
    nvidia gtx 460 video card
    western digital caviar black 1.5tb hhd
    corsair force series 3 180gb ssd
    g.skill ripjaws x series 8gb ram
    corsair ax850w psu
    lg black 12x bd-rom
  6. The 460 is a crappy card now. The 7950 is 1000x better.
  7. ^ i agree.
  8. A second GTX 460 would be a good idea only if you need to save the money for something else. If you are willing to spend 2k, definitely change the VGA.

    I run a dual-vga system and would advise against it whenever possible. Running dual GPUs means having to wait for driver updates to achieve decent performance, and in some scenarios you just won't be able to use the second card. Also, people tend to go for dual-vga because of the high average frame rates, without keeping in mind they usually suffer from stuttering and/or eventual slowdowns that make them feel much slower than the same FPS on a single card.
  9. Murissokah said:
    A second GTX 460 would be a good idea only if you need to save the money for something else. If you are willing to spend 2k, definitely change the VGA.

    I run a dual-vga system and would advise against it whenever possible. Running dual GPUs means having to wait for driver updates to achieve decent performance, and in some scenarios you just won't be able to use the second card. Also, people tend to go for dual-vga because of the high average frame rates, without keeping in mind they usually suffer from stuttering and/or eventual slowdowns that make them feel much slower than the same FPS on a single card.


    Thank you for the in depth advise. I will wait for the next paycheck and invest in a single GPU.

    Now i only need to find which GPU i can afford and my build is done. Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, definetly a big help. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product